(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, August 5, 2013

Sorry not much time today....

This will probably be the shortest e-mail I have sent in a long time, President Buchanan is taking us and Derrick (a member of our ward who was baptized 2 years ago but is having a bit of a rough time currently) to Meersburg, to go tour the castle, and then bringing us back to have dinner together and have a short family home evening with Derrick. That will take up nearly the entire P-day. So that is that. 

Not much to report on this week. We got the bike, there is an interesting story to that which I will get to in a moment. But man, I never realized how long it has been since I have ridden a bike until we after the first day, and the next few days in which my legs did not ceased to remind me how long it had been ;-). That has been an adventure. 

Actually the bike itself has been quite an adventure. I test road it real quick when I picked it up and everything seemed in order. But after the first couple days it became apparent that there were some problems. I had to completely fix and re-tune the front gear derailer, because it wasn't allowing me to switch gears hardly at all. So I fixed that (and actually because I had nearly no time, I OVER tuned it which caused the chain to jam and nearly cause me to crash). Then on one trip to Weingarten, I began to notice that I felt like my seat was reclining and that I was leaning backwards. Well it turns out that the seat wasn't really tightened well, and I lacked the tool to fix it so I had to tighten it the best I could with my hands, which allowed me to make it back in one piece to Ravensburg. 

Then as if that wasn't enough, I realized that my brakes weren't as tightened as I thought they were... Elder Kingery had to come to a somewhat sudden halt at a stop sign for a car, and well. I ran right into him. Not because I wasn't paying attention but because the brakes weren't very tight so I didn't slow down fast enough (did I mentioned this bike was used??) Luckily he stopped me before I went into the intersection though. :-). And if that were it, it might not be too bad... But the list continues. 

And to top all that off, after I finally fixed the bike I chained it up (at home luckily) only to find that sometime during the day the key had fallen out of my pocket... AWESOME, I fixed up the bike and can't even ride it now! So we spent Saturday (or actually the part of Saturday that we weren't in Vorarlberg) walking around until the next day when Brother Trautman provided me with Bolt cutters to free the bike. :-) (By the way, if you ever want to get weird looks from people, you should try cutting off a bike lock with Bolt cutters and then replacing it with another bike lock. ;-)) 

Other than the bike adventures, we managed to visit and talk with two less active members, which was good. The one that hadn't been to church since 1960 at the beginning wasn't really showing much interest in talking with us, but at the end he consented to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. That was good. :-)

Other than that we didn't really have much else that happened. We did, however manage to make out a number of appointments for this upcoming week. Which is good. Last monday I got a call from Elder Brose, who had found someone for us in Konstanz, who really wanted to learn more and lived in Markdorf. That was an adventure getting there... Luckily we decided to use the train to get there and not bike, as it would have taken us 2+ hours to get there and well over 3 to get home. But we went with the train, which was easier, and sadly couldn't meet with him, but found a neighbor who was interested and talked to his daughter who might also have interest. :-) That was good as well. 

This past week at church we had  a pretty decent turn out. nearly 15 people I think, including us and the branch presidency. We had a few people there who hadn't been to church in several months, one of them a year! That was GREAT! And one of them was someone that we visited and invited to church! 

By the way, before I forget (since I have already forgotten once). 

Elder Ryan Christensen
Kirche Jesu Christi HLT
Charlottenstraße 8
88212 Ravensburg
Germany

Yes, if anyone noticed, I was in Vorarlberg again. We had finding day in BREGENZ!!! That was so cool, and fun, and I still can't believe that it actually happened. The entire time I was there It felt like this weird mix of Dejavu and a dream. It was incredible for the first half I worked with Brother Lange, and we went by on some old investigators. That was REALLY COOL. Because many of them were found by Elder Robins and I. ( Did I tell you about that? How Elder Robins and I were finding like crazy but having a hard time meeting with people, and that after I left they really focused on making out appointments with people that we found and were teaching nearly 20 lessons every week?! ) Anyway, I saw one, who I really loved, Bruno. And I took the chance to go and meet with him. I knew exactly where he lived, and knew that he would be home. That was good, but hard, his health has gotten a lot worse since I last met him. He didn't really remember me anymore, and wasn't quite the same. He still has a good heart though. When I was there his mind wasn't completely there already, but it is even worse now. But it was still neat to go and talk with him again. 

For the second half of the finding day I was on splits with the Bishop. That was fun, we met, as do we always, some interesting people. Man that was so weird, like I said it was weird, like a dream nearly. But it was really neat. Something really cool, that made me happy, a less active member, whose son Elder Robins and I taught, when I first met him, he didn't have any interest at all in the church. Didn't want to come, wouldn't read the book of Mormon, didn't really have a testimony. But as we kept coming, we started to noticed that he was changing. When I asked about him, I found out that he is completely active in the ward, he has a calling and his testimony is strong once again! 

Anyway, I really don't have much time. But things are going well, this week should be a really good week (I think I always say that, and they always usually are in their own (sometimes twisted) perspective). We have a lot to do. A LOT. But I am grateful for the chance I have to get out, find people, talk to less actives, and get the work going again! I am so grateful for this Gospel and this church. I know its true, I really do. 

Sadly I have no more time at all, so I will need to bring this to a rapid end, but I wish you all an incredible week! 

Love, 

Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: