(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, July 29, 2013

Wieder zu Hause am Bodensee!!!

Back Home on Lake Constance!!!

Wow! I don't know where to start. Monday, I took my last P-day and made sure everything was in order for when I left. We had a lesson that night with Benjamin, and it went really well. We had a good District Meeting on Tuesday, my last one in Munich :-( The Hunsakers took a picture, and I will forward it on in a moment. Wednesday was good, we met with Tenzin in the morning to say goodbye. The Munich 2 sisters were there as well (since Sister Scoggin was also leaving). The next appointment was supposed to be at the church, but it fell out. Then later that night we met with Bastian and Nicole for the last time. :-( I am going to miss them a lot. 

Thursday I took the long way to Ravensburg. I went from Munich, through Ulm to Stuttgart, then Stuttgart back through Ulm to Ravensburg. Elder Kingery met me at Hauptbahnhof Munich, then we picked up our Hawaiian companion at Stuttgart. Ok, so he isn't native Hawaiian, he has lived there for 5 years though. It is so funny to contact people with him, one because he is still really new and his German has a way to go, and 2 when ever he says hi or bye he does the shaka, (the Hawaiian hand gesture that people usually associate with "Aloha") It's really funny, its totally out of habit so there isn't much he can do at this point :-).

It is so weird and cool at the same time to be in Ravensburg. It feels like a dream. I still can't believe it. We have a lot of work to do however. We currently have... 0 real investigators, and no potentials (that haven't already been contacted like 3 times over). I think this is pretty much the story of my mission so far, Get to an area, nothing, leave it better than I found it. :-) 

I mentioned that this past week was shaping up really well for Munich 4 when I left, well they were able to set 2 additional baptismal dates! I am very happy for that. Anyway, Ravensburg, like I mentioned is a branch. A small one. We have on our roster more than 80 members, but average attendance is around 15 per week. Yesterday, other than the branch presidency and us, there were maybe 8 or 9 people there. All sisters. Yup, The branch presidency and us made up the entire priesthood body. And we usually make up 80 percent of the priesthood body. We (the Elders) prepare, bless and pass the sacrament every week. We meet in the third story of a warehouse like building. It is quite the unique experience. We have a lot of work to do. This branch has almost been shut down a number of times. With the exception of the most recent Branch president (the one just before Elder Buchanan) (who was from Switzerland) all the other branch presidents have gone completely inactive. One of them after, who was somewhat new to the church at that time lost his wife tragically and went off the deep end, so to say, and was excommunicated. 

Anyway, so we have ALOT of work ahead of us, but I am SO EXCITED. Elders Kingery and Wasden are excited and hard working, which is so wonderful. :-) We had a really great weekly planning session, and have decided we are going to focus on re activating less actives. Well, the ones that we can get to on bikes anyway (I will get to that in a moment). One of our goals this transfer can be summed up with a picture, which I don't have right this second, but we took a picture of the chapel and hope to have the phrase "No empty chairs" written underneath it, and have that hanging in our apartment. 

Back in Munich, just before I left, Elder Müller and I organized a German class because we were in an English speaking ward. Getting here I brought up the idea of creating and English class. Which we are currently planning and getting ready to go. But I have already found quite a number of people that are interested. :-) Elder Kingery also had the idea to do a service day, and entire day devoted to serving the members and less actives. 

Last year just after I left Dornbirn the Elders that were in Ravensburg, weren't the most hard working, and there were days they just hung out in the apartment. That hurt the relations between the missionaries and the ward a bit. In fact the first member I met, I asked if there was anything we could do and she just said, please just be a hard working missionary. It's kind of sad when the main concern about a new missionary to the ward is if he will be hard working or not. 

The first full day here, we spent trying to meet up with less actives, none of whom were home. But we found 4 people while walking around (I will come back to that too) all day. :-) That was great, 2 of which are really cool. Courtney and Rockelle who are both from America, but are living in Germany. Courtney is huge, and is playing as the quarterback for the professional football team here in Ravensburg (Ravensburg Razerbacks). HE came up to us and talked to us saying that he has met missionaries all over the place and they are always really friendly, so he gave us his information and said that he would like to have us over for dinner sometime and that if there was anything that we need, he was more than willing to help. :-) 

Its really interesting, we seem to have gotten quite the tie in with the Ravensburg Razerbacks recently. Just before I came, the Missionaries met the Coach of the team who is actually a member of the church, that we didn't know about. He talked a lot about how good his time was when he was active, but he wouldn't give them any information about where he lived. But there is also a less active member who played for the team, and we seem to have contact in a number of other ways. 

The next day we went to Singen, for the District Leader training meeting. It was an hour train ride, which was much better than I had expected (and much easier than any of the other District Leaders some of who spent 3 hours on the train). Anyway that was great. Elder Chapman, and my old companion from Vienna is the new Zone Leader here, which has given us a chance to talk a lot. Elder Davies is also one of the district leaders here! (A really good friend of mine here in the mission field). We missed our train connection back home, which allowed us to find a family for the new sisters in Singen. Which was cool, because they up till that point were having a hard couple of days finding people. 

Sunday was neat, we walked to the church early to prepare the sacrament, and prepare for the meeting. Attendance was low, like I mentioned earlier, and 2 of them (both Americans that were here for a study abroad) gave their farewell talks (yes in English, they were translated by Sister Hoffman). So that was cool. They did a lot while they were here. Because the branch and attendance is so low, church is only 2 hours right now. Every other week it alternates, between Sunday School and Priesthood/Relief society. We have no youth and no primary, most the active members are grandparents, whose children are in active. Like I said, a lot of work to be done. :-) 

But on really awesome news, we  made contact with a man who hasn't been to church since 1960 and he invited us to come back today! And then we went by on a friend of a less active lady who had once come to church but since then the missionaries couldn't contact. And she is incredible!! She invited us right in, sat us down, gave us home made Filipino cake, and got us some drinks, despite preparing dinner for family and a huge amount of friends who were coming over any minute for a party. She told us that she had a LOT of interest in our church, and her daughter as well. Even her husband (who is German) has interest, but that they have been really busy.  It was really cool, then all her friends came and they were getting ready to eat. Mercedes, who we came to visit, told us that we could stay, but we didn't want to intrude (since we just randomly showed up on her doorstep (none of us having seen her before)). 

But we got a chance to talk to her sister and some of her friends (All the women there were from the Philippians married to German men). Many of them have interest. But because of vacation time, most of them will be going to the Philippians for the next 5 weeks... And the ones who weren't necessarily interested have interest in the English class. :-) That was SO COOL! I am so excited. We have a lot to do, but SO MUCH POTENTIAL.
  
I am way excited to work with the Buchanans and get going! This Branch hasn't had a baptism in 2 years or so. We have one lady, Marriot who is ready to be baptized, and wants to be, but is just really busy, and we need to set a new date with her. But then there is Mercedes, who we will also most likely set a date with on August 12th when we go back and visit her and her family. :-) (that is the earliest she can meet). 

So I mentioned earlier that this area used to be a car area and that when the Ehepaar (couple) came, they took the car and we got bus tickets. Well this area (as of 2 transfers ago) was changed to a bike area. So we have bikes now and no public transit. (Not that it was really good anyway...). But we are now 3 here. And there are only 2 bikes... so we were thinking about buying a rope and a skate board so that the third Elder could sit and ride everywhere, but then we decided that wouldn't be fair for the Elder on the bike having to pull him ;-). 

So I talked to President Miles instead, and we are going to rent a bike for this transfer :-). Because we haven't had one for the past few days,we have walked EVERYWHERE. One time we walked an hour and a half straight from the first person to the second. So we will hopefully have 3 bikes by tomorrow and won't need to spend so much time walking places (its good because then we can contact, but it really limits what we can accomplish). 

So just like my brother in Texas, I will be riding a bike everywhere. What makes biking even more fun is that Ravensburg is entirely hills. There isn't much flat ground at all... some of the hills are really long and steep too (suddenly those stairs in Plochingen don't sound too bad anymore... ;-)). 

Anyway, I am thrilled to be here and to spread the gospel and work hard. I am so grateful for this chance that I have to serve here. I want you all to know, that I know that this church is the true church of God. That it was restored, as promised, through a prophet of God to the earth. I know that Joseph Smith was that prophet. I know that he was called and ordained of God. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, that he atoned for our sins, and provided a way for us to repent and to come back to God one day. And I am so grateful for the chance I have, to be here in this part of the world and tell people about it. :-)

I wish you all a fantastic week!

Love,

Elder Ryan K. Christensen

P.S.
Talking to Elder Chapman about Vienna, 2 people that we found together  in Vienna have baptismal dates!!!! Andy I called on the phone and met with twice, then he got busy and couldn't meet for a month or so, and the other we found on the street, he was  friend of a member, and will hopefully be baptized sometime in the next few months!! They are also working 2 companionships in that area now. So Wien 5 has 3 baptismal dates from people that Elder Chapman and I found/ taught. And Munich 4 currently has 3 baptismal dates from people that Elder Curtis, Evans and I found. :-) I am so happy, I can't even bring it correctly into words. It has been such a huge blessing, and though I may not see all of them get baptized, I am so happy to have had my part (no matter how small) in this work. :-) 

No comments: