Yup, it's monday again. It's crazy how fast time flies. This
week went by super fast because we didn't really have much of a normal
schedule. Monday was P-day, and played Siedler Von Catan (Settlers of Catan) with Derrick and the
Buchanans. That was blast. The had a few expansion packs, so their were higher
point values, boats, islands, and a few other things. SO MUCH FUN. I Won! :-)
But that took from 3:30 until we started making dinner at 5:30 or so.
Then we
had hoped to have a lesson with the Weißenrieders, a really amazing family who
we went by on at the beginning of the transfer. Sadly, she wasn't there. It
turns out later that there was a mis-communication with the time, and she
thought we were coming at 3pm and we thought we were coming at 7 pm... :-(
Anyway, but we were able to go by on a few other people which was good.
Tuesday was actually the only normal day we had that week.
We met with Sani, A man from India and his wife. I love them so much, its a bit
rough, because Sani speaks very little English and German. His wife speaks more
English, but teaching is a lot of fun because we have to do it in
"Denglisch" to communicate. We have met with him a couple of times
with out his wife, and we have mainly just read scriptures from the Book of
Mormon in Hindi (he actually speaks Punjabi (I have no idea how that is
spelled)). Which is a really fun, because Hindi looks nothing like
English, and the number system looks completely different. But I was very
quickly (like in the matter of a 30 minute lesson) able learn the
numbers and have been able to look up page numbers for the books, go to the
page, Chapter and verse. It's a long shot away from being able to read it, but
I really am convinced that the gift of tongues, or rather the interpretation
thereof, has played a large role in that. And I am so grateful for the help
that God gives to us. :-)
Anyway, Wednesday we had an exchange with Dornbirn, because
we are a in a threesum, I need to go there for all the exchanges (like I even
need an excuse to go back to my favorite place in the whole world ;-)) that was
absolutely incredible, amazing, wonderful, terrible and horrible all at the
same time. Incredible and amazing because I was back in the place I have a lot
of love for, and it was a dream come true. Wonderful because everything came
back to me, I remembered exactly where everyone lived, all the streets, buses,
bus times, EVERYTHING came back. And because Elder Morey has only been there
for one full transfer, I ended up taking him everywhere he wanted to go because
I knew how to get there better than he did. :-)
I also was able to show him
where many people that I knew lived, and recommend when to go by on them. And
it was really awesome working with Elder Morey. It was terrible and horrible,
because I managed to completely forget for a bit that I was actually stationed
in RAVENSBURG and when I realized that I wasn't actually serving in that area
permanently yeah, not fun. I love Ravensburg, and am glad to be here and not
there, but because I was there the exact same time last year, the weather being
the same and everything, it made it feel like I had never left, and then it was
a smack in the face when I realized that it had been an entire year and that I
wasn't there. It was weird.
Anyway, that was awesome, then on Thursday we had weekly
planning, then went to Friedrichshafen/ Markdorf to go hopefully have a lesson
with George, which didn't happen. But thats ok. On Friday we had Zone
Conference, which are my favorite! I love Zone Converences, the Spirit is always
strong there, and I always learn so much. What is really weird though, is
at the next Zone Conference I will be bearing my final Testimony. In Zone
Conferences you only bear your testimony at your first, and at your last. The
next one will be my last. Crazy.
Back to Tuesday, we had a lot of time available and we
used it to try and visit some people none of whom were home. We tried talking
to people and no one would listen. We ended up stopping at the apartment
really quick to grab some things before we were going to go out and walk to
Weststadt and talk to people on the way. I took the time at the apartment to
kneel and pray. It was a bit rough that day, and I needed help. I prayed for
strength and for help that we could find 2 people that night that would be open
to meet with us, because up till that point we hadn't found anyone. Then we set
off.
We only had 2 hours or so (or so we thought, God had something else in
mind) before we would come back plan, and eat dinner. So We go and walk out to the
first member, who very evidently wants nothing to do with the church, lets put
it that way. :-P Then we walk from there, and end up getting a bit turned
around (we still haven't gotten the new map yet). Up until this point we had
not met a single person on the street, and I was a bit mad at myself for not
pushing to take the bikes, thinking that we just wasted our time, when we could
have visited them on the bikes and then walked around somewhere, where people
actually were. But I decided I needed a more positive out look, and so I prayed
for that and tried to be happier.
A man riding a bike, who noticed our
confusion, stopped and asked us if we needed any help, we told him where we
wanted to go, and he told us how to get there. So we start walking up the hill
(Weststadt is characterized by a long steep hill) and not long after stop a
young man and talked to him. We told him who we were and what we were doing,
long story short, he wanted a book of Mormon and would like to meet us! That
was awesome, anyway, then later on we get to a fork in the road, we had
initially planned to just go straight and turn right, but I wanted to take the
left road and walk up to the street we were looking for. We made it up there an
met another man walking down the street, I had the absolute coolest discussion
with him that I have ever had.
We essentially quoted bible verses back and
forth, not contending or arguing, but building on what the other said. He said
that the only way to find truth was to ask God with an open heart and real
intent, or else we will never get the answer. He also talked about the
importance of Apostles and Prophets. (He belongs to the new apostolic church)
but told us how he was first Catholic, but then started looking at different
religions, and was searching and praying to find the right church. We didn't have
much more time, but we had a really great discussion and made an appointment
for Saturday to come back and teach him. Which we did. He likes to talk a lot,
but he knows so much truth already. In the lesson he told us so many things
that he believes that we also believe. It was really neat and we will return
and speak with him on Thursday again.
Anyway, it was such a huge blessing on
Tuesday night to have that prayer answered. We found those two potentials and
it was nothing short of a miracle. :-) And that last minute impression to
change the direction that we were walking, was also a part of it, and I didn't
recognize it in the moment as an impression, just a desire to take the
other road. I am so grateful for that, that God is always watching out for me,
and is leading me. That is such a huge comfort to me and it means a lot. I am
grateful for the guidance which he gives us.
Last night things didn't
necessarily go completely to plan and we had extra time, which I felt we should
use to call people. In only maybe 30 minutes I contacted 3 former investigators
who have interest, and made appointments with them. :-) Things are going well
and we are being so blessed! I am so grateful to be here and so grateful for
Gods love and grace and for his help. I know that he loves us. I know that he
hears and answers our prayers. And I am so grateful for that.
I wish you all a wonderful week!
love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen
No comments:
Post a Comment