(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, May 20, 2013

Frustration, Miracles, and a Fresh Start


This e-mail will need to be super short, sorry. We have an appointment and need to catch a train in an hour maybe... We actually haven't been able to get a hold of him to confirm yet, and after a week where we had 14 appointments, 11 of which fell out, we have learned that if you can't call a few hours a head and confirm, then the appointment WILL fall out. And because Nigerians would rather lie than say no, if they really don't want to meet with you, you can call them 30 minutes a head and they will say "yeah I will be there"  and then run out the door and go somewhere... grr... 

Anyway, yeah, so this week was alright, actually in some places it was really amazing. Miracles have happened  I mention a few weeks back that one time we went and visited Brother Griffin in the hospital right? He had an advanced stage lung cancer that had spread to the lymph nodes and the doctors thought that he only had a few months to live, but they were going to try a series of surgeries which could help. They started him on Chemo therapy for a while and then he went into the hospital to have the first surgery. He had gotten a hold of Brother Jarman, the High priest group leader, and he and Brother Wood went and gave him a blessing that all would be well and he would be healed. 

The first surgery was a success, and his recovering astounded the doctors, the day after they removed a lob of his lung he was able to get up and walk around. And was released from the hospital a week later. The second surgery at first looked impossible. It was a sarcoma that was in a really bad location, one which probably would have killed him if they were to operate, but with time it moved to a safer location where they thought that he would probably lose some function of his arm, but that they could remove it. 

He came in, and was really nervous, but received another blessing, with the same promise, that he would be healed. That surgery also went remarkably well. And upon scanning him, the cancer was COMPLETELY GONE. They had planned to do another few surgeries, but now the cancer in his whole body is COMPLETELY GONE. No traces of it. He is healed and will be released from the hospital tomorrow. (And as far as I know has complete use of his arm). He hasn't come to church in a really long time but has had contact with some members of the ward. After talking to Bro Wood a few days ago he said that he was going to start coming back to church. That is an absolute miracle. 

I also had the chance to give a blessing with a miraculous outcome as well. We got a call from Brother Wood that Brother Wilson was in the hospital and needed a blessing, we, having time, were able to go, and Brother Wood took us. He had been in the hospital for a couple of days at that point in time and the doctors didn't know what he had. We arrive and find his room, and were allowed to go in. Usually, they weren't allowing visitors, but they allowed us to go in, on the conditions that we put on full body gowns, gloves and masks. Which I thought strange, but I must say that I enjoyed the feeling ;-). 

We get into the room and Brother Wilson looked very pale and tired. We said hi and he somewhat smiled but wasn't saying anything. Elder Evans anointed and I sealed, and in the blessing I mentioned twice that he would be healed and receive strength again to do that which was asked of him. I closed and stepped back. The color had come back to his face and he looked better, we talked with him and his wife for a bit, then left. I called his sister Wilson a couple days later to see how he was doing, and she reported to me that when she came back the next day he looked a lot better, he was happy, he had more strength then before and was doing well. The doctors finally figured out what was ailing him, but he had made such a huge recovery to the point that medications weren't any longer necessary and he was released the next day (the day of the phone call). 

What a huge opportunity and blessing it is to have this Priesthood authority God. To have the opportunity to be His servant, though despite my best efforts, an unprofitable servant, and yet, He still allows me to have a part of this work. I still have the opportunity to hold this Priesthood power, and get to exercise it according to the need and faith of His children. It has really caused me to be much more thoughtful and grateful of all the blessings that we enjoy. What a blessing it has been, and is to be here. What a blessing it has been, is and will be to have a knowledge of this gospel. To know that God loves us the same yesterday, today, and forever. That he has a plan for us, and that He wants us to know His plan and draw near unto Him. 

Those were the main Highlights of the week. We also have enjoyed some success in other areas and I am grateful to be apart of it. One of the things that I have really been hoping for is to be able to help the Munich 2 sisters out a bit. They have had a really hard time finding people to teach, having opened up a new area at the same time that we did. And because the whole city is my area and I contact for all the wards, I was especially praying that we would be able to find them some people to teach. 

One day this past week on an Exchange with Elder Orchard, I was sitting at a tram station, and just asked the lady next to me how she was doing that day. She said " I am doing well" (then seeing the Book of Mormon that I was strategically holding in my hand) she asked "What is the Book of Mormon?" I smiled and talked to her for 2 minutes or so about the Book and our Church. I gave it to her. Then just before the tram arrived (Like Seconds) she asked me "Why are there so many Christians churches in the world?". I told her that we would like to talk about that some time with her, and I made out an appointment for Sunday at 4.30 PM. The sisters went and gave me a call afterwards (very excited) that it went really really well, and that both her and her husband want to learn more! :-) That was cool. 

But yeah, those are the really amazing points of the week. :-) Things are looking up for this week, and I am excited to have a fresh new start! :-) I hope you all have a great week!

Love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: