(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, May 6, 2013

Another Week has come and gone...

Well, this week was normal. Ups and downs as usual. Too many fallen out appointments. We had 3 appointments which we had accidentally scheduled for Sunday night at 6, and we had made out splits and had all the preparations to handle them. In order to prevent them from falling out we had called twice throughout the week to confirm everything. Then Saturday night, we find out that Ola, is working and can't be there. Ok, perfect now all we need to worry about is splitting with members for Charles (MIRACLE!!!!!) and then Familie Brucku. 

We had contact with Familie Brucku on Friday evening to confirm for Sunday at 6 pm. Charles we had made the appointment on Thursday. I call to confirm again with Charles. No answer. Then later he sends me a text and says " I be living in a small place, could I just come to your worship service?" I told him when and where it was, and then he texted and said he couldn't come tomorrow, but next week. :-( 

Alright, so now its just us and the familie Brucku, with Brother Backman (member of the bishopric) coming (Brother Brucku is a member and his daughter LOVES the church and the missionaries, but she is only 8 and can't come on her own) They haven't come to the church for awhile so we made an appointment and invited Brother Backman. Well, we were advised/chastised from brother Opare (who came with us to an appointment (which fell out on the spot)) that we should ALWAYS call 2 to 3 hours before and remind the family that you are coming, so that you know it won't fall out for sure. So we called, and called and called (over the space of 3 hours leading up to the appointment). No answer, so we cancel on Brother Backman, and we go by ourselves. Sure enough they weren't home. :-(

Yeah, but on the brightside Nataly and Loveth came to Church! Wait, you don't know who Loveth is. So nearly 2 weeks ago, on an U-bahn heading home I talked to Loveth, and got her phone number. We called out got her address, and long story short, we were able to finally meet with her on Tuesday, and we brought a brother Itama with us. It was a bit rough. She had a really hard time understanding, Brother Itama was a huge help on that, but it still had struggles. We then made out another appointment for this Monday, which fell out, but we met with her on Saturday evening, and had a really good lesson, and invited her to church. We went out and met her at Moosfeld, and had the absolute WORST luck getting to church. 

My word, we missed the first U-bahn by SECONDS, and had to wait 10 minutes for the next. Then at Sendlingertor ( I have mentioned before this very rarely ever works) we would have made it, if it were just her, but she had a 4 month old ( maybe?) daughter, and that caused us to JUST BARELY BARELY miss it. 10 more minutes we need to wait. Now we are in trouble, we are on the verge of being late to church. But to show you that God knows all and is in charge of all, we arrive and barely catch the bus, on which there were some other Nigerian Brothers specifically Brother Chuckwudi, who actually speaks the same Dialect as she does, and he is an INCREDIBLE member missionary, he immediately came and introduced himself, and they start speaking their dialect. She really liked it and will come again  next Sunday. 

Nataly is amazing. She made it to church! but was only able to make it to Sacrament meeting because then she needed to go work from 2 till 11 that night. She works as a traveling nurse, taking care of patients in their own homes. Because she works so late, she doesn't get home till midnight or so, then gets something small to eat, and finally gets to bed. She told us that she has a really hard time getting up in the morning, and was going to pray for the strength to make it to church. She made it! And we will meet with her again this week. :-) Things are amazing and she is really prepared. The current goal is for the 25th of May, but that won't work because the whole ward will be at the temple ( Frankfurt... outside mission boundaries :-P) and won't get back till Saturday night. So we will see what will happen. But things are going well.

Now about Charles, this is cool, so on Wednesday this week, we had the ENTIRE day free. As opposed to having an appointment somewhere in the day. So we spent the day going by on this list of potentials we had, and contacting in the area for an hour or so. For the first several hours nothing. Had a few people yell at us to go back to america where we belong, other than that, no one wanted to talk to us. So we keep going. Meanwhile  I am praying to find some people, that someone somewhere will listen to us. And finally within the last section of the day, we find ourselves walking from Pasing to Laim. BY NO MEANS A SHORT WALK. Talking to everyone on the way. We found 2 people by then, both of which we need to give a way. And then we get a phone call. A man, who calls himself Charles is on the phone and he says

"You guys put a note in my mailbox for my Woman, but she is in Africa now, and I don't know how to take the message of your church to her".

"Yeah, that would be difficult... would you by chance have any interest in hearing our message"

"Yes I would like to learn more about your church, and message." 

Haha, Elder Evans was on the phone and his reaction made me laugh

"Thats great, Thats just great, wonderful, awesome... [awkward pause]  uhh, when would you have time to meet?" It shows you how little that happens when someone requests to meet with us, we have no idea how to respond when that happens. 

We are excited. Then we found someone else later on after we were nearly to Laim. Awesome. Prayers are answered. 

This week was rather incredible, I love personal Study, I have come across a lot of things in the bible and through other doctorinal study that have left me with questions, what does this mean? Why is it here? how is it supossed to be interpreted? I have thought about asking President Miles, but instead I have tried something else. I say an additional prayer, and ponder on the verse. Then write down thoughts as they come. It has been a wonderful experience for me. All of my questions thus far have been answered and I continue to gain more light everyday. I have learned SO MUCH it is unbelievable new insights on things, as I ponder specific verses of Scripture are brought to mind, and sometimes, I can even see the verse on the page in my head. It is truly incredible. 

I am so grateful for that. Personal Revelation is Powerful, and I have used it in so many cases. It has really shown me how much God loves and cares for me, If I have a question, how to plan out District Meeting, or a lesson, or anything, I can go pray and ponder, and I know that I will recieve the answer. I know that to be true. And I know that each and every one of you will recieve answers likewise, when you put in the effort to ask with real intent. 

I need to go now, but I wish you all a wonderful week!
love,

Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: