(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, January 28, 2013

Well, its Monday yet again. Wow. Time flies.

Well first things first Frau Zalka and Simon despite feeling good about it all week, trying on Baptismal clothing, taking pictures etc. Called off the Baptism a few hours before it was supposed to happen on Friday. We called them that morning and all was fine. Then Simon's religion teacher called her and started bashing on the church calling it a sect (which is a ridiculously huge thing here for some reason so big that we have church material that we give out which says "A state recognized church since 1955"). Es ist ja, ein Wahnsinn dass hier im Österreich  so etwas  wichtig ist.(It is maddening that this is so important in Austria).  

Anyway, she called it off (through e-mail, for some reason she really detests phone calls, she won't talk on the phone for more than 2 or 3 minutes, yet will gladly write a 10 page letter and send it (I am glad that she at least switched to an e-mail instead of a letter sent through the mail)). She said that she wouldn't be baptized and wouldn't come to church anymore. End of story. Well we knew Frau Zalka well and correctly guessed that we would hear from her today. And we did. She wrote an e-mail (this is all to the GML, who then relates it to us) apologizing for her behavior and said that she again, started reading in the Book of Mormon again, and can't deny that she knows its true.

She also was reading a talk by a general Authority which mentioned how Peter denied Jesus 3 times. Having now denied the church and called off the baptism 3 times, it really had an effect on her. So she wants to get baptized on Friday just before a Fireside for the Relief Society. She has a testimony, she understands the doctrine, she just needs to stop letting herself get tossed to and fro by all these different opinions. We will try to go up and visit it her with the GML and hopefully we can get her baptized (if not Friday then eventually!) Mensch (Man!). This is crazy. 

That was pretty much my Friday, get back from an exchange, have a baptism cancelled on me, and then go to PFK (?? not sure what this is) ( there were a few other things but that was the main part of the day). 

I don't really know what else to write about. There were 3 baptisms on Saturday hier in Wien. That was cool.

Haha, on Tuesday we met with Martin and Marion, with Martin Hayden as a mitbelehrung, and taught them about the Haus of Israel. That wasn't planned, but we asked them (well specifically Marion) if they had any questions. And she said that when reading the book of Mormon she was really confused about the terms (Jews, Gentiles, Israel, etc.) and that looking them up in the Schriftenführer (Bible Dictionary) only made more questions (the Schriftenführer is like a hybrid between the topical guide and Bible dictionary. I LOVE IT. With every word or "Begriff" ("term") (you will need to translate that I forgot what the English word is) you get a small definition, and then a list of scriptures in which it appears). So we started with Abraham and went our way through the 12 tribes, how at the time of Isaiah, Jeramiah etc. they were separated into 2 kingdoms etc. It went really well and now she completely understands those terms :-).

After that we asked if there were any other questions, and they asked 
" how does one know from which tribe he is?" 
"That is a completely different topic for another time". 
"Oh, and I also heard this really weird word in Relief Society that I didn't understand, what is a Patriarchal Blessing?" 
(while smacking my forehead) "that is exactly what we were referring to with 'completely different topic for another time'..."  It was much more funny in person, but I guess that we will be talking about Patriarchal blessings next time with them... :-)

Once Martin gets back from South Korea that is, he flew out on Saturday for some business related training for the next week. :-) Things are going well with them, they are both steadily making progress, and will get baptized, its not a question anymore. For a honeymoon trip, they are planning on visiting Salt Lake City/ Tempel Square. :-) (then subsequently California and Hawaii, but Salt Lake was the thing they put emphasis on). 

We got a new investigator this past week. She met with the missionaries last year, but then stopped because of Summer vacation. Elders Chapman and Babcock met with her on Friday, and we have another appointment with her this upcoming Friday. She is really good friends with the Husz Familie (A & M Husz (there are more than one Husz families in the ward)). So we meet with them and teach. She has a few concerns though dealing with WWII how members of the church were allowed to be apart of the Nazi regime, and the fact that Nephi cut Labans head off really concerns her as well.

Which brings me to a cool experience. As a mission we are reading the Book of Mormon through; 2 chapters a day. Well I was starting into personal Study on Saturday, trying to read in the Book of Mormon, and I couldn't. I couldn't focus, but was thinking about her and her concerns. So I started to ponder and study, and being enlightened by the Spirit I found out how I could resolve all of her concerns in one lesson, namely the plan of Salvation (she has more concerns than just those two mentioned, but those are two of the biggest).

It was absolutely incredible. I could see the points to highlight, the exact scriptures that I was to use were coming to mind and how to go about the lesson. It was fantastic. :-) I took notes and wrote it all down. I am excited for it. :-) It is wonderful to be able to have the influence of the spirit leading in this great work. It only strengthens my testimony that what is happening here is truly the work of the Lord. He leads it, and we are only tools in his hands. 

My time is now up. But I wish you all well! I love you all,

Elder Ryan K. Christensen

1 comment:

Tim said...

What incredible and wonderful spiritual experiences he is having. It should strengthen anyone's testimony that reads this, whether, member or not. Ryan it seems has these experiences very regularly, and has been taught or has aquired the unique ability to hear, see, feel and recognize when the spirit is leading him. After reading this weekly, there is no denying that the gospel is true, it is being led through the preisthood power and is overseen by the Savior in every detail. Wow!