Its hard to believe that it has only been one week since the New Year began. Last week was pretty crazy, well Transfer day was atleast. Last Tuesday we got the phone call telling us what we were doing. Elder Steed took the phone call and wrote down everything. He told me that I would be going to Salzburg and spending the day there (as I expected).
Well Transfer day came, I didn't plan for anything because I assumed I would be with the Zone Leaders in Salzburg contacting all day. We leave the apartment a little bit later than we wanted, and take the U-Bahn. The U-bahn got delayed and we arrived on Westbahnhof 5 minutes before our Train was supposed to leave. PANIC. We had to go up the stairs and accross a somewhat busy street to get to the long distance trains. So we go as fast as we can and get up to the street just as the the cross walk light turns red...
So we wait and wait and it still doesn't change. 2 minutes till the Train is supposed to leave. There was a large gap in cars, so we run across the street (dragging Elder Steeds ridiculously heavy luggage) into bahnhof up the stairs down to our Platform, then RUN down the platform as the whistle blows for the train to leave (we are still 20 meters from getting onto the train so we REALLY BOOKED IT) we get to the train drag all of Elder Steeds stuff on. I jump on (asssuming I am going to Salzburg) when the Strongs (the Ehepaar (couple missionaries) here for the YSA center) come running up and say "get off! get off!" "What?!" I jump out seconds before the doors shut, and then the train drove out of the station.
I was so confused. It turns out that I wasn't supposed to go with Elder Steed to Salzburg, and that I was going to stay the day in Wien. We had to call and have someone print off our ticket for us (the strongs gave it to Elder Steed just as we jumped on) and it was only for one person. And thats how I found out that I was actually working here in Wien, and not going with the Salzburg Elders. Thats one heck of a way to find out.
Alright so Elder Brose and I work together for an hour, then Elder Kinghorn and Gubler show up ( Elder Gubler was Elder Brose new companion (Elder Gubler entered into the MTC the same day as I did, but I flew out here with Elder Brose in case anyone was curious). And then they turn to me and ask "So what are your plans for today?". "I have NO idea". Elder Kinghorn came with me back to the apartment. Neither of us had studied so We studied for 3 hours and had lunch. I made Bauern Cordon Bleu Schnitzel :-). Instead of Ham, I used bacon, diced up some onions and sauteed them in a bit of oil, and them added a little bit of some spicy brown mustard. It was REALLY GOOD. :-)
Alright so Elder Brose and I work together for an hour, then Elder Kinghorn and Gubler show up ( Elder Gubler was Elder Brose new companion (Elder Gubler entered into the MTC the same day as I did, but I flew out here with Elder Brose in case anyone was curious). And then they turn to me and ask "So what are your plans for today?". "I have NO idea". Elder Kinghorn came with me back to the apartment. Neither of us had studied so We studied for 3 hours and had lunch. I made Bauern Cordon Bleu Schnitzel :-). Instead of Ham, I used bacon, diced up some onions and sauteed them in a bit of oil, and them added a little bit of some spicy brown mustard. It was REALLY GOOD. :-)
Then we went out and went by on some potentials and made out a few appointments for this upcoming week! :-) It was good. We went by on people most of the day, as well as taught a German course, (Actually I ended up teaching advanced English, because no one showed up for german, and the elders that normally teached that were white washed :-)) (We are not sure what that means). But Then we went to West Bahnhof at 7:20 to pick up our new companions. We arrived home at a little bit after 8. And that was transfer day. :-)
Things have gone really well since then. Elder Steed hating finding and wouldn't talk to people on the street, Elder Chapman though really likes it. (I really like doing it as well) and it is unbelievable the difference there is when both Elders are trying to find people and talk to them. We managed to find 6 potentials last week. Most of that was in 2 days!! I am very excited for this new transfer. :-) We even made out 2 appointments for this week will people on the street, and we are going to call a couple of people tonight to make some more. :-)
Thats pretty much all I have to report. I found something really cool in the apartment yesterday! Its an Martin Luther Bible from the year 1941. Its not a full bible they call it the "Youth and Family Bible" It large sections of all the books of the Old Testament, and the Entire New testament with explanations on some of the verses. Its really cool. It is written in the old style of Writing which looks a lot different the the letters that you are reading on the page. I really like it.
I have a Mini Luther Bible that I bought in Esslingen, but it was the revised version, this is a lot closer to the original. :-) I also got to see a REALLY old bible from the1500's (see the 2nd picture). The GML has had it for a long time, I guess his grandpa found it a long time ago, some Bookstore was going to throw it away.
That is all for now, I need to leave, but I wish you all a great week!
love,
Ryan K. Christensen
P.S. The third picture is the title page to the New Testament. The writing in the Bible I have looks a lot like that, not as extreme, but that is what old Written German looks like. :-) Try reading that! haha I actually surprised my GML when I opened it up and started reading it. The words back then are spelled a bit different, but I was able to tell what the words meant. I knew already a bit of the old German lettering and so I was able to read it. IT WAS WAY COOL!
That is all for now, I need to leave, but I wish you all a great week!
love,
Ryan K. Christensen
P.S. The third picture is the title page to the New Testament. The writing in the Bible I have looks a lot like that, not as extreme, but that is what old Written German looks like. :-) Try reading that! haha I actually surprised my GML when I opened it up and started reading it. The words back then are spelled a bit different, but I was able to tell what the words meant. I knew already a bit of the old German lettering and so I was able to read it. IT WAS WAY COOL!




2 comments:
Okay, Val or Kelly, I need the specific recipies of his schnitzle, and his Spatezl, and of this Bauern Cordon Bleu Schnitzel. I know he talks a little of what was in it, but I need a recipe. See if you can get it for me.
Tim
Ryan replied:
Does Tim know how to make a Cordon Bleu Schnitzel? All you do is beat the schnitzel out really thin, salt it, then put Gouda and Ham then fold it over, seal it off ( by either pushing it hard together or with a meat tenderizer) then bread it and deep fry it. I will have to tell you the SpƤtzle recipe later. Bauern Cordon Bleu, you just add a bit of spicy brown mustard, sauteed onions, and Bacon. Still Gouda cheese, no ham. Pretty simple.
Post a Comment