(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Individual Letters from Ryan

We received individual letters from Ryan this week.  I wanted to record parts of them on here so I can keep a record if these letters get lost, or just take the time to translate them as his handwriting is crazy hard to read.  :)  Forgive some of the personal references or parts of the conversations that seem one sided.  I just eat up his every word and love to remember the way he says things.  

Dad,
Sorry it taken awhile to respond, this week has been rather busy as it very well should be.  :)  So I know what its like having no time.  I ought to be better.  There was a night again that we missed dinner. We barely made it back in time (9:30).   Then we planned (for the next day) for 30 minutes and it was 10.  At which point it was pointless to eat dinner.  (Probably shouldn't tell mom that :) I am really fine.  I don't skip dinner often and I eat large lunches to help balance the day out.)

Sorry about the water heater.  I wish I could have been there to help!  I have always loved to do things like that with you!  1)because I learn a lot and 2) its fun to spend time with you.  Plus I always loved how something would happen, we thought we were hosed, but then we still seemed to be able to get it done right.  :)  I am glad that you wer able to get it installed and that you have hot water.  :)

Yeah I heard about the paint fiasco :)  I can't imagine what that was like, but I am glad you found the right shade despite having a few gallons of various shades of blue.  Ha Ha, I have a feeling that I will come home in 2 years, the basement will be finished and each room will be painted in a slightly different shade of blue.

Yes I heard about the wood (friends of ours are making a Marimba out of exotic wood and used Kelly's tools) I wish I could see it!  It sounds beautiful, I can't wait to see pictures of the completed project! I miss wood working so much.  Elder Heinrich found a guitar at this apartment which was broken.  So we went and bought glue and clamps to fix it.  There is a hardware store around the corner from our apartment, so we went there.  We walk in and in smells just like Home Depot.  Oh man, I could have stayed there for a few hours, but Elder Heinrich wasn't so thrilled with that idea.  Go figure.  :)  But I miss those days of having a problem or project to work on together.

The new For the Strength of Youth pamphlets sound neat!  I wonder how long it will be till they will have them in German.  Thanks dad, for the testimony and the example.  I miss you a lot but am excited to be here and have a portion of the Lord's vineyard to tend for awhile.  Whether I will see any baptisms, I don't know.  A lot of our investigators are hesitant, but it doesn't matter I am where I am supposed to be, and the Lord is the one who called me here.

I love you dad.  And no matter how old I get, I will still be your star trek loving, Bronco riding, woodworking Pal and because of the plan created by an all knowing, loving Father in Heaven, that will never change.  I will always be your son, and you will always be my dad, hero and example and for those blessings I will forever be thankful.  I hope all is well and that there won't be anymore problems at home, well at least not expensive ones.  :)

Love,
Elder Ryan Christensen


Mom,
It has just occured to me that I never really written you a personalize email/letter or anything so here you go. :)  I wish my memory is better but alas its not and I don't remember everything I have written to you about previously.  But one of the things I do distinctly remember is that you quoted a passage in Alma 53:20 in relation to me and the 2000 stripling sons of Helaman.  Well if I may direct you to Alma 56:47-48/57:21 It says that they were taught by their MOTHERS. (I assume they had excellent father's too)  But that point was so important that it was mentioned 3 times in the space of 2 chapters.  :) So feel free to say that about me, but just recognize the fact that I was taught well by my parents.

I remember awhile back that you were assigned a talk in church on an ambiguous topic.  You asked us why were the way we were and made mention that there were a lot of good parents who's children may or may not have remained on the straight and narrow path.  A topic that has come up a few times in the past few months is found in Alma 62:41 It talks about how the exceedingly great length of the war caused some to wax hard, others to become soft.  It was the same war, yet there were 2 different outcomes.  You can compare it to boiling an egg vs a carrot.  You can put them both in the same boiling water yet the egg becomes hard but the carrot becomes soft.  Likewise 2 children an have the exact same family experience and  be completely different people.  The wonderful thing is that we can all choose which to be.  IT's never to late to change.  Jesus, while on the earth turned water into wine, why not an egg into a carrot?  :)

Anyway, things are going rather well here.  Elder Heinrich was just called to be a Zone leader in Salzburg.  I am staying here and will be getting the one and only Austrailian in the mission as my companion.  Ha ha he speaks German with a Austrailian accent which as you can imagine is a very peculiar combination.  But I am excited to remain here and see my investigators progress.

Anyway, I want you to know all is well with me and that I really am enjoying my time here.  I love you mom.  Thanks for the constant emails!  I really appreciate it.
Love,
Elder Christensen

Dear Josh,
What's up Josh! It's been awhile since I have talked with you.  How goes the Deca competitions?  ACT studying?  AP Test? Work?  You have a lot to tell me about.

How does your new room look?  Do you like it?  I hope so, it seems like something you would enjoy with your Taylor Made golf theme.  Anything new going on at home?  Sweethearts/Prom?  Have you been asked to any dances?

You're a stud Josh!  Don't let anyone/anything tell you different!  AP testing and the ACT are ridiculously difficult.  Just study as hard as you can and leave the rest up to the Lord.  Remember Alma 37:36-37.  The Lord will help you through the hard times and I promise that everything will work out.  Just keep your personal scripture study/prayers up.  Pray and you will receive.  I promise that because it happened to me, if you think it was just me that did well on the ACT you are wrong.  I was helped by the Lord a lot.  I still had to put effort into it but in the end he helped me.  And I know he will help you too. You are a stud Josh!  I couldn't have asked for a cooler younger brother!  I love you Josh!  Good Luck,

Elder Ryan Christensen

Dear Cassie,
Yeah time is going by super fast!  I have already been here 2 months!  Well on my mission for 2 months, 6 weeks in Deutschland :)  ITs cool being here.  It's really warm right now!  Today it got up to 20 C (roughly 70F)  It was so nice, even right now it's 9 pm and it's still 60F  I am liking it here.  I appreciate the fact that I am missed :)  Guess what it's March 18th.  One more month has passed! Hang in there Cassie, It will go quickly.  :)

How are things at home?  I miss your emails!  Keep emailing me!

I still can't believe I am actually here already.  We get transfer calls on Friday (every 6 weeks we have a "transfer" and there is a chance that we can go somewhere else)  I am staying here in Esslingen but Elder Henrich is going to Salzburg Austria!  I am very jealous!  Do you remember the movie Knight and Day?  Part of the movie is in Salzburg!  IT's beautiful, but so is Esslingen.  I can't wait till everything starts blooming, it will be cool to see.

How did Josh's room turn out?  I wish I could see it!  Does he like it?  How did Mark's room turn out?  I normally email at the church but sometimes we go to what's called an Internet cafe, basically a small place with a bunch of computers people can use.  You have to pay for it, but it's pretty cheap.  No it's not annoying to ride trains everyday it's kind of cool.  We ride a ton of trains and even more buses.  Sorry it's taken me awhile to respond.  I spent too much time on my email.  I look forward to hearing back!  I love you cass!

Love,
Elder Ryan Christensen

P.S.  Are you reading the Book of Mormon personally?  If not you totally should!  It will bless your life tremendously to get into a habit of personal study and prayer.  I testify of that.  TRY IT!


Dear Mark,
What's up Mark?  Sorry I haven't written very much, I have been busy!  But things are good.  I ride a lot of trains and buses!  IT's really cool and I think you would like it alot!  How's the weather there?  Its really warm here!  I like it alot.  How is school?  Homework?  I hear you still don't like it.  Sorry about that.  But I promise that it helps you learn!  IT's good for you.  Do you have any questions about the trains or anything? I know how much you love them.

The food here is pretty good, I am learning how to make it too!  It's pretty good!  I have yet to have anything that I don't like, even liverwurst!  The bread here is fantastic and there are bakeries everywhere!  ITs awesome.  Take care Mark!  I lovew you!  Good luck with all that you are doing!

Elder Ryan Christensen


No comments: