(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, December 2, 2013

December. NOT GOOD.

My head is still spinning really badly. I can't believe it. Everyone with whom I flew out is now at home. It makes me a bit sick.  In two weeks my MTC companion will fly home and I will be the oldest infield missionary, the only one in his 17th transfer. I am trying not to think about it. 

Well this week has been a huge adventure! Mainly since Elder George arrived. The first half of the week was typical for a week when a missionary leaves, we went and visited as many people as we could to say goodbye. Which is always hard. Tuesday was a huge highlight, Sister Buchanan made us a full out Thanksgiving dinner, for the district and the branch Presidency. We had a 22 pound Turkey (Brother Trautman reffered to it as the humming bird ;-)) Sister Buchanan made home made pies, and everything. So delicious. 

Its funny, Elder Moon and I were both here last year for Thanksgiving, and we both made a request to have rot kraut with the turkey. Wish granted! One of my favorite things ever, Turkey with Rot Kraut, way better than cranberry sauce. :-) I love Rot and Sauer Kraut, they are delicious with any kind of meat. And then you add Knödel and a gravy.... Just makes my mouth water. I am totally German when it comes to culinary tastes. :-)

Anyway that was heavenly. We had a great time, and ended up teaching Jason (who was there as well) about fasting right after that (it seemed to be an appropriate topic ;-). It went well Then because Elder Wasden was leaving we sang "Gott sei mit Euch bis aufs Wiedersehen" (God be with you till we meet again) I love and hate that song at the same time. Its beautiful but, but it's sad at the same time. That was the last time that Elder Wasden saw Derick and Jason. It was hard, having been together for so long, and having gotten to know both of them and all four of us getting to become friends.

Thursday was transfer day. It was simple we were supposed to go to Stuttgart, which was fine, and then catch a train to Ulm, than transfer to Ravensburg. There was only one problem, the train that the intended us to take was an IC, and our ticket only worked in Nahverkehr (IC was a step higher). Luckily on the track right next to it I saw an RB going to Aulendorf, which is in our area. So we hurry and jump on it. That was a miracle. A) that I saw it, and recognized it as a reliable alternative. and B) in Tübingen a college student sat down across from me and we were able to talk to her for most of the train ride, and I got her e-mail address to send her some more information about the church. 

It was funny I asked her what she was studying, she said that she was majoring in physics and minoring in Chemistry. EASIEST CONVERSATION STARTER EVER!!!!!!!!!! It was great. We easily steered it into a talk about God, she said she was on the search. She felt like once in her life she really felt Gods love for her, and after awhile she didn't feel is as strongly anymore. We talked to her a bit more and gave her a book of mormon before she got out of the train.

We made it back to Ravensburg eventually, that train ride took us through the middle of nowhere. I was worried for a bit actually, I have never taken the train before, and I had no idea where we were, all I had was the sign that said "Aulendorf". You can pull a lot of cool comparisons from that. The Church being the train, destination being celestial Kingdom, and not knowing how to get there, being some commandments or things that we do that may or may not make any sense. Sometimes (knowing that the church is true of course) we just need to have faith that God will lead the church, and if we just stay on and have faith we will reach our destination safely. :-) There is the spiritual thought/ parable for the day. :-)

Saturday was an adventure. We had a meeting in Singen for all the district Leaders, so we went, had a great meeting, drove back to Friedrichshafen and contacted for awhile on the street and got a Döner. At döner shop we ran in to a few Americans, that was cool they were on a Bible study abroad thing in Fischbach and we got to talk to them for awhile. That was way cool. Anyway we went out to Markdorf to visit the Micov Family and the Kunz family. 

We got to the Kunz family just as they were walking to go shopping real quick, and we ended up walking with them and talking on the way. That was a lot of fun. The only problem was, we missed the train at 8 which means we needed to catch one at 9 to get home at just before 10. Well we talked with them some more and they checked our train, which was supposed to be 10 minutes late. So they didn't let us leave until later (so that we didn't freeze ourselves to death) and well it turns out that it wasn't as late as it was supposed to be, and we missed it. Now I panicked that was probably the last train of the night. And we are 30 Kilometers from home. So I start calling some members, and luckily one answered and was able to rescue us! So we made it back home safely at around 10:20. ;-)

I don't have too much more time sadly. But Sunday was a miracle, we were able to organize a ride for Natalia and her 9 year old daughter to come to church. That was awesome. We found her through a huge miracle. She came and liked it a lot.  And wants to come more. Her daughter was really shy and so she stayed with her in Primary (so that Patrizia wasn't the only one there). After church we talked with them for a bit, then I ended up sitting down at the Piano and played some hymns. That was neat, Natalia and Patrizia came in and listened and really like it. That started a more personal conversation and it was really cool. 

That is three times now that playing the piano has done that, I have played investigators or potenials or just others come and sit down listen and we talk on a less formal more personal level and its way cool. :-) So glad I decided to try and teach myself to play again. 

Things are going well Jason is making a lot of progress to say the least. He is excited to be baptized to one day go to the temple and have and eternal family. Also is excited one day to be able to baptize his children. (after talking about how Elder George and I have been baptized from our dads). Way cool! He is also looking forward to the day that China will open to the missionaries and says he will be the first to welcome them. :-) I love Jason so much. He is incredible! Haha, we talked a bit about the temple and told him how every year they announce the building of 2 to 4 temples. He then said "wait until China opens up, then there will be like 10 every year!" 
  
I am so happy to be here, I am so happy to be able to preach this gospel so that people like Jason can find it. He wished he could have found it earlier. But is really happy to have it now. :-)

I know this church is true and this gospel can bless the lives of everyone!

Have a great week!
Love,

Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: