(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

STAKE CONFERENCE! And a new bike.....

Well, I must say first off that my thoughts about repairing that bike was me being really optimistic and not wanting to need to buy another bike. But I took it into the shop and they said that it couldn't be repaired and commented how the bike was actually meant for people much shorter than me (the frame didn't really indicate that other than the fact that I found it strange that the mount for the seat sat so low (which is why all the Elders in the past have pulled up the seat so incredibly high way past the point that it should have been moved. Then there is me, who isn't exactly the smallest Elder in the Mission and after nearly 8 weeks of me it gave up the ghost...) 

Anyway, so I talked to President Miles and he told me to try to buy another bike from Marcus, who we bought the bikes from in the first place. Long story short, Marcus was about to shut down for the season and didn't have any more bikes. But was able to bolt the seat in place. But here is the thing, the frame is meant for people much shorter, and because we were missing that extra two inches that the mount provided, it was WAY SHORT. I got on it and my knees were nearly at my chest as I rode. Elder Wasden saw how pitiful I looked and (he having not nearly as long of Legs as I do) decided to switch me bikes for the week. So now today we are going to go on a bike hunt for another bike which is durable and within budget. Sweet. And knowing my luck, what will happen is that we will find a bike, I may get to ride it for 2 days or so and then its going to snow really hard, and we will be unable to use the bikes... 

From Monday night till Tuesday night we had an exchange. It was rough. All the appointments fell out and even after nearly 4 hours of contacting no one wanted to speak with us. District meeting was good though. :-) 

Wednesday. Going into the day we had 5 appointments set up! Then shortly into the day 3 fell out, but we kept the practice teach appointment with sister Schmelz. Which was great, and we met again with Prosperi. We had a good discussion about faith and how to gain it using Matthew 13 and Alma 32. Prosperi is way awesome! He understands a lot. He understands that the only way to gain a testimony is through prayer and guidance through the Holy Ghost. Something neat though that happened that morning, on the way to our first appointment (with a polish man in Weingarten ) we were on the way there and were talking to people on the street at this point in the day there weren't too many people out and about. We talked the first person we saw and for some reason something about the conversation just felt off. 

Talking to people on the street has been really something that has been bugging me because I feel like I could do better. I had been pondering about that during personal study that morning. I wasn't feeling too much of a personal connection with the people I was talking with and I didn't know why. And I was trying to do better. One of the things that came to my mind was to listen, pause think and then answer, instead of trying to just shoot out a blatant answer or testimony. 

We talked to the next person, we mentioned who we were and that we were talking about God. He quickly said that he didn't believe that there was a God and that he had no interest really. We asked why, and he said that he had been through so many hard things that there couldn't be a God. We paused and spoke and told him that bad things happening is not evidence that there isn't a God, because Jesus once said "he maketh his sun to rise on evil and good and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust". And then I ( with Joel 2:13 and Isaiah 57:15, 18-19 in mind)  bore testimony about how God knows that bad things will happen, but only wants us to turn to him, humble our selves so that he can heal us. 

The Spirit came, I felt it, and he felt it, and I could see it in his eyes. He gave us his phone number and address and we made an appointment for Friday. That was the best street contact I have ever had. Its not easy to do that, and I don't know exactly how to keep doing it, but I know its possible, and I know how a street contact can be. Now the trick is to be better at it. Granted of all topics that I could have picked having had much hard times and having been comforted myself, this topic was very close to my heart in that moment and I think that really helped. Had I not had such hard time these past few weeks, maybe that would have never happened. Who is to say, either way I am INCREDIBLY grateful for the that which I have learned and experienced.

We also experienced a wonderful miracle on Thursday. I mentioned awhile ago that there was a couple from Markdorf that tried coming to church but couldn't find it so they went back. Well Adrienne texted us and wanted to meet with us, so we brought the Buchanans and we went. We get there and she runs out and give sister Buchanan a hug and shakes all our hands and we walk inside and talk with her a bit. Its rough, she is from the Ivory Coast and French is her mother language. She speaks decent German but it is still rough. We talked to her a bit and found out that she is actually a member of the church! She was baptized and shortly after had to move to a different city down in the Ivory Coast, where the church wasn't at. After several years she met her husband (who is German) and later moved to Markdorf. She hasn't had any contact with the church for over 10 years. Until Elders Kingery, Wasden and I got the refferal from the Kontanz Elders and when they weren't there, we knocked on a few doors in the area. 

She was so THRILLED to see us that second time. She is going to visit Family back in the Ivory coast and leaves this Saturday. She won't come back till January 10th. Ouch. But we managed to stop by on her on Saturday to bring her some cookies we made. She was even more happy to see us that time that she immediate embraced both Elder Wasden and I. She gave us her e-mail and skype information and said that she wanted to keep in constant contact when she is there. She is so incredibly happy to have found the church again. And I can't help but sit back and marvel and be so grateful for God and his great mercy. This is by no means the first time that has happened it happened in Munich once, and now twice here with Elder Wasden and I. We would have never ever found her, if we hadn't received that refferal. Markdorf isn't exactly a big place and it wouldn't be my first choice to do missionary work in (although I must say I LOVE MARKDORF we are there a few times a week and I have come to love it.) 

I am running out of time again... :-P Time is not my friend. But I did want to talk about Vladmir (the one guy who we found on the street that I mentioned). We went and visited him and had an incredible lesson. We started out by asking him what he expected from us/ what made him want to meet with us. And he told me that the scripture I shared really touched him and that he wants peace and real happiness. As you can tell by the name he is from Kazakhstan, and he isn't kidding when he said that so many terrible things have happened to him. We read in Alma 32 about how he could find out for himself it these things are true. We read verse 42 and asked him what he thought. He said almost with tears in his eyes that is what he wants. We talked about peace and healing from God. It was powerful. We invited him to read Alma 7:11-13 and 3 Nephi 17. I am way excited for him He has a lot of interest and really wants to come to know God. 

We have been very blessed here in Ravensburg, and we have a lot to look forward to, and much to do. I am so happy to be here serving a mission here, and for the wonderful things that we are able to see. God truly leads this work, I know it. 

I wish you all a wonderful week!

love,

Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: