(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, October 28, 2013

Oktober wird jetzt bald vorbei... SO KOMMISCH

October is over now....SO WEIRD

With the end of this upcoming week, we will be in November. My head is still spinning, and I am still trying to figure out where all the time has gone... 

But we had a fantastic week this week! 

Monday. EPIC FAILURE ON MY PART. So, I don't remember if I have said so much about the current bike that am riding. Before me, the bike was named Black Beauty, but like to name it broomstick because of the seat... it has nearly no padding and for the most part it may be an inch and half wide, maybe. Anyway, It needed some repair work done, the steering was starting to get a bit rusty, so I needed to take that apart, one of the pedals broke, the chain needed to be oiled, and the brakes tightened. ( I seem to always have brake problems). 

So I spent some time fixing the bike I took it nearly all apart oiled it up and put it back together (and I only had 2 screws left over!! ;-) ) No, everything was put back just fine, but I decided that it would be a good idea to raise the handle bars a bit, too make the ride more comfortable. So I did not problems. I proceed and tighten the brakes, oiled the chain, replaced the pedal (on a side note, I don't know why I am having all of these bike problems, maybe this is just God's way of subconsciously letting me know that my destined career is not that of a Surgeon, but of a bike repairman ;-) ). I get it all put together, and don't have any time to test ride it to make sure everything works properly, because we need to leave. So we pack up and ride up the hill toward the Buchanans. I notice that the bike is acting somewhat strange, but I didn't think anything of it, until we were going back down the hill... It turns out that I couldn't raise the handle bars as easily as I anticipated, and that I had left a gap which allowed for some wiggle room. 

This showed it self as we started to bike down the hill, the bike started to shake, so I pulled the brakes to slow me down, upon applying just the slightest pressure to the front brake the bike shook violently almost lost control and I about wrecked. The back brakes worked fine and caused no effect. Sweet! Good thing I tightened those today! Well about 20 seconds later as I pulled the back brake to slow me down, I heard a snapping sound and all the sudden the brakes didn't work. The back brake cable snapped.   And I wasn't even halfway down the hill yet... So now I am gaining speed down this hill, and if I so much as touch the brakes, the bike is going to lose control and I will wreck. Super.

 I made it back safely to the apartment, without any harm. More to show Gods matchless preserving power than any sort of skill I could possess. Needless to say we were done with the bikes for that day and spent the rest of the evening on foot. :-) The next day, I returned the handlebars to their designed height. Elder Buchanan stopped at Real and bought me a new brake cable, I installed it and ever since then the bike seems to be working really well. But stayed tuned till next week to find out what more chaos Elder Christensen can have with a bike...

Later that night, after we got back to the apartment I decided to call a few people, see if we could get a hold of anyone to meet with during the week. And I ended up texting Stephan Beck, someone who we had tried to meet with for a long time, but he cancelled a few times and then we lost contact. I just sent him a text asking him if there was anything we could do for him, and he almost immediately called me and said " Wow you asked me at the perfect time, I need help tomorrow building my Barn in Markdorf". Cool. He subsequently invited us to breakfast and to talk a bit about God. He has some really interesting ideas... He knows the bible well though. But it seems his biggest fascination is with the sections like Ezekiel 1 where Ezekiel essentially describes (what appears to be) an airplane that he sees in a vision. And other places where ancient prophets tried to describe our day. Really cool things, not so much about God though. It was interesting. 

But later that day we had a fun time in Markdorf helping build his barn, he has some land down there with sheep and chickens and a garden. He is working toward being completely self sufficient, or getting to that point. Anyway, we had a really fun time with him and helped him space out the beams for the roof. Luckily its a really small barn ( I wouldn't call it a barn personally, more like a shack but I won't hurt his pride ;-)) It was fun. A lot actually working with wood again, and having some tools back in my hand. It was good. :-) It was good and he was impressed with our desire to work and to help others. We will hopefully be able to return sometime this week and help him some more. 

Wednesday we had an Exchange with Dornbirn. I brought Elder Sharp (from Sydney Australia) here to Dornbirn and we had a good time. Yup. He is from Australia. And he knows Elder Stokes too. It's fun hearing the Australian accent again. :-) We spent the day going by on a few people before going to Institute, to hopefully meet with Mariet, who I contacted again for the first time in months only a few days earlier. Sadly she couldn't stay for us to talk with her, but she loved institute and wants to come back (the only problem is, is that she doesn't have a ride...) She wants to be baptized, but doesn't have too much of an inner drive to do so (more of, yeah sure, if it is convenient, and I am able, why not?) so we will need to talk with her some more before she can get baptized. 

Thursday, nothing overally exciting happened, except for having dinner with the Stevens family, which was delicious as always. I ate WAY TOO MUCH. Mostly with desert she made Germ Knödel, which I really like, and so I two of them and was stuffed then Sister Stevens offered me a third one. I said I was so full that I couldn't eat another. Then she teasingly/provokingly said "Elder Christensen, you don't have much time left on your mission, this might be the last time you can have real Germ Knödel". After sitting there quietly a few seconds, I took another one. :-P  I love this branch so much, I mentioned the changes that I have seen since I arrived and the relationship with the members has gotten only better. We have become members of the branch, and have such good relationships with the members.

Saturday and Sunday. These two I want to specifically mention. We spent Saturday morning doing an "Area book finding day" with the Buchanans, after which we had GMK with David, and then went to Help Jason put together his furniture. That was way too much fun. Making mistakes and having to take it apart and start over again. Afterwards he made us Chinese food... Then we had a lesson about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, about baptism. And he accepted and really wants to be baptized on the 23rd of November! He is so great. He feels the spirit when he prays, when he is with us, and he wants to feel it stronger. He lives only a couple houses away from David, and David now has a car, so he brought him to church. He had a great time at church. 

Jasmin Trautman was also able to come, so we taught two separate investigator classes. :-) Jasmin will probably be baptized sometime in December. She can only come to church every other week with her Grandparents, but wants to be baptized. :-) So we will teach her and prepare her for baptism. :-). Later after church once the members had mostly left (we needed to wait for Elder Buchanan to finish a meeting) I sat down and started playing some Hymns. Specifically one of my current favorites "O Bleibe Herr" (Abide with me). It has 4 verses in German, sadly the English is missing the last one, which is my favorite.  Sister Trautman and Jasmin came in and we started singing together in 3 part harmony. It turns out that "O Bleibe Herr" is also Sister Trautmans favorite. :-) We have really gained a good relationships with members here, it's so cool to see. I started playing another hymn, and wasn't quite playing it with the correct style, so I got a bit of a private piano lesson from Sister Trautman. It was cool. At the beginning of my time here, that wouldn't have happened, but it has changed so much. 

Later we had lunch with the Buchanans, Barluschkes, Jason and Derick. Then we had to leave because they played card games, but that was INCREDIBLE. Jason now feels very comfortable with the ward, and has some friends. Things are just going really really well. We are seeing many miracles and wonderful things are happening. God is answering our prayers. He truly is protecting us and guiding us. Things are getting better and better. Its wonderful to see. I know that God loves us. 

Anyway, my time is now up, I wish you all a fantastic week! 

love,

Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: