Well I have now had a full week in Munich. And it has been
an Adventure! The ward, despite being so small is absolutely incredible. The
members are very willing to help out with teaching appointments (not that we
have had any yet, but I am getting there) and had invited us 5 times this week
to come and eat at their homes. Its been awesome, and we have had full evenings
all week this past week.
First, P-day, Elder Helbig and I already had Lederhosen in
our possession, But Elders Evans and Thomas didn't but they wanted some, so
they went and bought Lederhosen. They were having a sale there, so they got it
for cheaper than they would have otherwise. That was a blast and we took a
bunch of pictures, which are sitting back on the SD card in the apartment... I
will keep this e-mailing session short, go home pick it up and bring them back,
because we had a blast and the pictures are cool. (He did go back and get the pictures and they are attached below).
Anyway, then after P-day, was
over, we got picked up by the office Elders and went to the Samuelson's for
dinner. Which was fun as well. Brother Samuelson is from Sweden, and his wife
is from the U.K.
Tuesday we had district meeting, went by on a few people,
and then got picked up by Elders Klappert and Johnson again, to go out and meet
with a new convert. Her name is Gift, and if you can't tell by the name, she is
Nigerian (they always name there children with interesting names, Hope, Gift,
Wisdom, Beauty... etc.) Anyway, she lives out past Augsburg, which was only
supposed to be a 65 minute drive from here. She hasn't been able to come to
church for a while and the Elders here haven't been able to meet with her for
awhile so we were determined to get there.
But here's the thing it snowed that
day, quite a bit, and we got out there on the Autobahn, and we hit traffic. HARD.
The plan was to drive an hour there, have an hour lesson with her, and drive an
hour back, being home at around 9. But it took us 2 hours and 15 minutes to get
there, we gave her a "gift" basket from the ward, and talked to her
for a few minutes. She had just recently come out of the hospital (none of us
knew that she was in the hospital) and we were able to give her a blessing.
I was asked to anoint, and had to do it in English (that was fun let me
just say...). It was really neat that despite ridiculous weather conditions, we
were still able to go and give her a blessing, after which she had tears in her
eyes.
It may seem ridiculous that we kept pushing on the Autobahn all the way
there, but for that reason in and of it self made it important. Then we drove
back and got caught in Traffic AGAIN. Elder Evans and I arrived back in our
apartment at 10.20 that night... But it was good, and the drive there and back,
despite the majority being so slow that the speedometer couldn't even register
the speed, was a blast.
The rest of the week was about the same, we went by on as
many people as we could, made out 5 appointments for this upcoming week, and
had an eating appointment every single night. There hasn't been a day this past
week when we haven't seen Elders Johnson and Klappert. Doch (except), Friday, but other
than that there hasn't been.
Friday was neat, we went out and met with Clark, a
Nigerian Brother who has lived here for a few years. That was cool. He has an
incredible story. A lot of the Nigerians members do. Brother Opare's was even
published in an Ensign in 2001 here is the link, I HIGHLY recommend reading
it: https://www.lds.org/ensign/print/2001/01/latter-day-saint-voices?lang=eng&clang=eng
He is an amazing teacher last Sunday (not yesterday but the
week before) he blew me away with his 3rd hour lesson "Grace, the
forgotten blessing". I just sat astonished it was phenomenal and he talked
a bit about is conversion story and Grace, how he wasn't looking for the
gospel, he didn't pay, for it, didn't deserve it but still found it. Anyway
Clark was awesome, he made us some Food, which was incredible, it was kind of
like a curry with Chicken and other things. It was really good, even though when
eating it I labeled somethings as "I probably don't want to know what that
is" but it was still really good, and it didn't kill me :-).
And then we
talked to Clark. I love the African members, they are great missionaries, bringing
friends with them a lot and always looking for ways to help people find out of
the gospel of Jesus Christ. We talked about that he had given a co-worker a
book of Mormon in English, and she wanted a bible as well, we will try and get
him one.
Its been fun trying to make phone calls this week... For the
past year of so I have been talking to people in German, "Hallo ich bin
der Elder Christensen, ich bin Missionar von der Kirche Jesu Christi, wie gehts
Ihnen heute?" (Hello, I am Elder Christensen, I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ, how are you today?) Elders Helbig, Thomas and Evans have had fun making fun of
me when I make a phone call start talking in German and have the other person
hang up or be really confused and then me saying "oh I mean I am the Elder
Christensen von the Church of Jesu Christi, I mean Jesus Christ..." and then
every now and again slip in a German word, or expression.
And then what was the
worst, so I have been speaking to a lot of Nigerians on the phone, and one of
them told me that he would call me later, then without thinking I said
"when do you be calling us back?" I was in the apartment at this time
with Elders Helbig, Thomas and Evans. The phone call ended, and I turned around
and they were completely silent and staring at me. Then they just burst out
laughing and started teasing me about it. :-) Patience is a virtue which
ceaseth not to be tested. ;-)
Easter was neat, The meeting yesterday was small, maybe 30
people present if even that, but the spirit was strong and it was a very
uplifting experience. It gave me a chance to reflect a bit more on the Savior's
life. I am so incredibly grateful that he went through all of that for me. I am
so grateful for His love and His Mercy which He has shown to me, and those
around me. Despite my weakness, faults and other things He still loves me. I am
still here preaching the Gospel, despite my weaknesses. Getting a chance to
study and focus more on the Gospel I have come to love and appreciate Jesus
Christs atonement and have come to know him Better. I know that He came to this
earth. I know that he atoned and died for our sins. But I also know that wasn't
the end. I know that HE LIVES.
Er lebt und hilft mir jederzeit, er lebt, verschafft mir
Seligkeit. Er stärket mich, wenn ich bin schwach, er höret all mein Ungemach.
Er lebt, bewacht mich in Gefahr, er trocknet meiner Tränen schar. Er lebt, und
weil er lebt ich sing, ER LEBT, DES KÖNIGS LOB ERKLING! Er lebt! hat leben mir
gebracht, Er lebt! der Tod had keine Macht. Voll Freude meine Stimm erbebt: Ich
weiß dass mein Erlöser lebt! ( words from I know that my Redeember Lives)
I love that hymn so much, I don't have an English hymn book
with me, but the words in German are especially powerful to me.
I know that that he lives. I know that he loves me, as well
as all of us. And with that I will close in his name, Jesus Christ, amen. :-)
Well that should do it for this week. Its been fun. I love
this Ward and am excited for the upcoming week with a few appoinments. They
will be neat. We have a long way to go, but we are off to a good start. I wish
you all a great week!
love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen



No comments:
Post a Comment