Wow. I don't what to write. I have read all the e-mails
already, well most, I couldn't really focus any farther to read them all.
Between my transfer call, Beth's Mission call, and other things going on here
and there my head is spinning.
My transfer call caught me completely off guard
I am not training, nor staying in Austria, nor being a German speaking
missionary. I have been transferred to Munich, to open up a brand new area
in the International ward there. As a result of the new missionaries coming in, a lot
of new areas need to be open up. It is going to be one heck of a change.
My
area is the entire Munich Stake, however I will probably not travel often
outside Munich and the areas in the immediate area surrounding them. I am not
even fully aware yet of my whole assignment. President Miles, when he called me
told me where I was going, who I was going with and told me that there is more
to my assignment which I will find out when I arrive in Munich.
My companion
will be Elder Evans, who arrived here on his mission my first day in Wien, and
with whom I have already been on a few exchanges. I will be in a new 4 man
apartment, that much I know. Elder Evans and I , Elder Helbig, who is 2
transfers younger than me, and a new missionary who he is training. I will be
teaching all the English speaking investigators who are convenient to travel
to. Which means I need to re-learn my English gospel vocabulary. :-)
Having
studied my scriptures, preach my Gospel, and have read half way through Jesus
the Christ all in German, I have a difficult time remembering words every now
and again. Naturally I will still speak contact people on the street in German,
but Church, and all lessons will be English again. My ward is made up mostly of
Americans. It will be interesting. Starting off with 0 potentials and 0
Investigators! (Sounds strangely familiar...) There are already two Elders in
the area, but they work in the Mission office untill 5 Monday through
Friday. Talk about getting thrown into cold water, I will get to see and work
in the entire city of Munich as well as a number of other areas in the
surrounding area. I get to see Neuschwanstein, that will be cool. (Neuschwanstein is a Castle that is very familiar and often related to the castles at Disneyland and Disneyworld). But I am still
trying to wrap my head around the fact that I will need to teach in English
again.:-P
Anyway, Congrats to Beth on her mission Call! The video didn't work, so I had to read the e-mail instead, but over the past few days and especially today, I had the feeling that you would be coming here. Trotzdem stehe ich unter Schock, aber naja, es ist zu erwarten. Weil wir so ähnlich sind, ist es keine überraschung dass wir in die gleiche Mission geschickt sind. (Still, I was in shock, but well, it is to be expected. Because we are so similar, it's no surprise that we are sent in the same mission.)
Anyway, Congrats to Beth on her mission Call! The video didn't work, so I had to read the e-mail instead, but over the past few days and especially today, I had the feeling that you would be coming here. Trotzdem stehe ich unter Schock, aber naja, es ist zu erwarten. Weil wir so ähnlich sind, ist es keine überraschung dass wir in die gleiche Mission geschickt sind. (Still, I was in shock, but well, it is to be expected. Because we are so similar, it's no surprise that we are sent in the same mission.)
It's beautiful
here. Every year they do a world wide poll of the cities with the best
standards of living. 5 out of the top 10 are in this mission. Vienna it self in
this last poll was number 1 but has over the past few years varied between
number 1 and 2 :-). Which is awesome, but is also a huge problem. People here
have everything that they need, so they don't see a need for God... But with
hard work and faith you find those who are ready to hear it. :-)
I get to go preach to the African immigrants now... :-) Good thing I like fried Chicken and purple drink :-D (for those who don't get that, once I get over there and have eating appointments with Africans I will tell you what I ate, and after a few times, you'll get it). Even here, there are a couple of African families in our ward (they are the best, truly they are) and every time I have had dinner with them it has always been fried Chicken, with some sort of side dish, and a some sort of Juice, (a lot of times a dark red or purple juice). But I have also heard of some really weird foods that Africans make (I am sure Zack can already testify to that)... So we will see.
We had Zone Conference this past week, that was awesome, Long but awesome. Other that this week was a full on face plant. EVERYTHING FELL OUT. EVERYTHING. We manage to teach 3 lessons. Thats it. Total. And church is included in those three. Ouch...
And everything since I got my Transfer call has only gotten worse... Something must be up, because Satan is doing everything he can to pull me down harder in ways then he has tried to before on my mission... I am fighting through it though. Things will get better. I know they will. They always do :-)
Because I am being transferred I used the excuse to write Frau Zalka a text ( I actually called her first, but she didn't answer). A few minutes later she responded:
>>Lieber Elder Christensen! Ich finde es sehr nett, dass du dich von uns Verabschiedest! ;-) auch, wenn wir noch nicht getauft sind, haben wir viel von dir gelernt. Ich habe großen respekt vor jedem, der eine Mission erfüllt, was bestimmt nicht immer leicht ist. Ich wünsche dir das beste und lasse es dich wissen, wenn wir uns taufen lassen. Christine, Simon und Miriam.<<
That was cool. Most of you probably want a translation huh? alright:
"Dear Elder Christensen, I think it is very kind of you to say goodbye to us ;-) eventhough we are still not baptized, we have learned a lot from you. I have a great respect for everyone who serves a mission, something that is definetly not easy. I wish you all the best, and will let you know if we get baptized"
Anyway, through out it all. I am very incredibly grateful to my Father in heaven that I have been able to serve here in the wonderful City. I love Wien so much. I really do. It is a wonderful place, and I am very sad to leave. But with one door closing comes another open one. Munich here I come! :-) I really appreciate The comfort that I have recently received from God,
When I first got
my call to go to an English speaking ward, I wasn't very happy. I love the
German Language, I love teaching in German. I feel like I understand things
better in German. But on Saturday night, we were coming back to our apartment
after visiting Edith and Chiara, I was riding in the straßenbahn (tram) and I started
to talk to someone sitting next to me. He was from the philippians (I have no
clue how to spell that anymore) (Philippines) and after a few minutes we started speaking in English.
I was able to talk to him and bear testimony, and at that moment in time the
spirit bore witness to my heart that where I am going, is where I need to be.
And that I will be supported and helped while I am there, and that even though I
will be in an English speaking ward, I will still get to speak German. :-) It
was absolutely wonderful. And I know that is where I need to be. I am grateful
for that. That feeling of peace even though I have no idea what lies ahead. But
I know that God is in charge and he will be on my right hand and on my left if
I do that which I am asked to do, and am worthy of that.
That will be all for now. I love you all and wish you a wonderful week!
That will be all for now. I love you all and wish you a wonderful week!
love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen
No comments:
Post a Comment