Of course it will be somewhat of a short transfer, its a
5 week transfer. Which despite being only one week shorter, it seems to go by a
lot faster. Oh man, with this transfer I now hit double digit transfers, i.e. I
am entering my 10th Transfer! THAT IS SO WEIRD. And this one only lasts five
weeks, which means in no time, I will be in my 11th transfer... That is really
weird (taking into account that I only get 17 of them...)
Time flies REALLY
FAST. And something that is saddening, and weird at the same time, is that
Elder Esplin goes home on Thursday. :-( He was such a good companion and had a
large influence on me. What is weird though, is that I am now in the exact same
spot on my mission, as he was when I first came to him in Dornbirn. Which
wasn't all that long ago.... And something that caught me off guard a few weeks
ago is that I learned that Elder and Sister Sampson are now back home in Utah.
I didn't expect them to leave until later October, but I heard out of health
reasons that they needed to cut it a bit short.
I left their e-mail address
back in the apartment, but I will probably have one of you send them an e-mail
for me next week. (You could even visit them if you really wanted to I guess,
however they live down near Washington...)
Elder Esplin and Elder Jacklin go home this transfer, then
next transfer Elder Stokes and Allen, then there is a one transfer break, then
Elder Heinrich goes home... I could go on, essentially from them on there a lot
of missionaries that I am well aquainted with who are going home in the
upcoming transfers.
Wow, sorry I am not intending to make this (I forgot the
word, but essentially relishing in the past? I think it starts with and
"L" or and "N" any ideas?)(No ideas on this word he is searching for)
Anyway, This week was overall a pretty good week. We had all
but 2 of our appointments fall out, but we found 6 new investigators! We
finally were able to meet with Familie Friedl! Have I said anything about them
before? Back awhile ago on a finding day, I was on splits with Elder Evans, and
we talk to a man, who was actually an inactive member of our church who had
moved back to Wien about a month before. He gave us his address but, couldn't guarantee his schedule, so we were just to come by every now and again to see
if he was home. One day we did, and he wasn't but there.
But just then a woman
walked up, and rang one of the klingels, and was let inside. A few minutes
later (we were still in the area) I saw her and her husband with a 2 year old
walking out of the building. They walked by and were really friendly, but
didn't have time to talk. I got this feeling that we needed to come back an
talk to them. I had seen her go inside, so I knew exactly which klingel was
theirs. So over the course of the next while we kept going by trying to make
out an appointment. It was rough, they went to Serbia for a month, and were
busy, but we were finally able to make an appointment out for Saturday at 11.
It was awesome. Misha, is the husband, he has lived in Wien his whole life,
then his wife, who was born in Serbia but can speak German. All the brothers of
his wife were there as well (she wrote down her name, but they all knew that
it was going to be hard to say and remember (they were right) and so I can't
remember her name exactly...). 5 people. And they are very interested in
reading the Book of Mormon and learning about the plan of Salvation. :-) I am
really excited for them. :-)
Then there was Andy, who I contacted by calling
the 200+ numbers in the phone. He comes out of Romania, but can speak really
good German. He also has quite the interest. :-) It was a good week. :-)
Frau Zalka... well I don't know. The last thing we heard is
that she doesn't want to be baptized. And I don't anticipate her gettting
baptized for the next few months. She needs to start coming consitently to
church and really think and decided for herself what she wants to do. And then
stick with it. She is letting herself be influenced way to much from everyone
around her. So we will see what the future will hold.
Everything is going well with Martin and Marion. We had a
good time on Tuesday with the Zemps and them. It was a good lesson, despite
poor Brother Zemp, who can speak any German :-) (he is from Canada).
Do you remember that lady that I called last week, that had
a lot of interest, but was just sick? I called her again this week. And boy,
does she like to talk. :-) She was incredibly friendly (which is rather unusual for Austrians, especially on the Telephone) and was asking me how long I have
been here, where I have served, how the work was... etc. Then she mentioned
that she now lives in Baden (right next to Wiener Neustadt). She had attended
for a long time a Free Christian church, which she really liked. There was a
warm greeting, the kids were taken to individual classes based on the age group
etc. But had stopped after some of the ministry of the church told her that the
Lord wanted her to become pregnant and have more Children ( for those who know
free christian churches that isn't the least bit surprising).
She thought it
was really weird and her husband was really offended by that and so they
never went back. And then she told me that this past January she noticed that she
had a desire for spiritual things, and really wants to go to church again.
Specifically a church with young families, with classes for younger children,
and somewhere where she could interact with other women saying that she needed
the support. I very excitedly explained the Primary and Relief society programs
of the church, and then mentioned that we have a ward in Wiener Neustadt (
Which is where the Free Christian church that she used to attend is).
She was
very excited, and I gave her the number of the Missionaries in Wiener Neustadt,
and she said that she will talk to her husband and give them a call! :-) She
was really excited when I told her about those things, and she said that even
if her husband doesn't come with, that she wants to go. I am excited to see what comes out of that. That was neat that I was led to find her record in
January (when she noticed that she wanted to start working with spiritual
things again. :-)
This truly is the Lord's work, and he is preparing those
people to be taught the Gospel, and is leading us (as missionaries) to find those
who are ready (most times after a lot of work on our part, such as calling
200 people and leaving 150 messages... :-P). But I know this church is true,
and how inspired the organization is. And I am so blessed to be apart of this
work.
I love you all,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen
Josh is expecting his mission call to come this Wednesday. It is listed as "Call Issued" with the Church. Ryan sent the following note in addition to his letter above:
I forgot to take my
guess on where Josh is going. I think he will go Spanish speaking (despite
really wanting him to come here, I don't think that will happen :-( ) And I
also think he will go state side, So I will say California. California
Riverside Mission Spanish Speaking.
There were two missionaries in my MTC group
that were going there and they were awesome. If I had to guess outside the
country I think he would go to South America, maybe somewhere in Chile :-)
Good
luck Josh! I am excited to hear what happens! Don't forget the Lord is who is
calling you and sending you out. It doesn't matter where you go, even if its
state side (it just means you get to visit you mission a lot more than I will
get too). You will love it either way!
Love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen
Love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen
No comments:
Post a Comment