(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, January 6, 2014

I GET TO STAY IN GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUP! I GOT A LAST MINUTE EXTENSION!!!! I WILL STAY ANOTHER 6 WEEKS!!!!! 
  
I wish...

 Sorry Mom, I couldn't resist writing that ;-). I hope you didn't panic too much. :-D

Well This past week, has been quite interesting. It was fairly slow but we saw some cool things happen.

Tuesday was New  Years Eve (Just in case any of you didn't know that ;-) We went to visit a few people, with not very much success. :-) Go figure, it was a holiday (of sorts). But we made an appointment out with Lothar so that the Buchanans could come. Which was good. :-) That night we were at the Buchanans house (just like Christmas) and played a variety of card games. WAY FUN. I love the Buchanans so much, They are such a huge help to us here, and they have done so much for this branch. It was fun, we were up until midnight, which is when the war started ;-). Fireworks like CRAZY. It was a bit foggy, and the smoke from the fire works combined with the fog and made so thick that you couldn't see 2 meters in front of you. It was nuts. We could only hear the fireworks, and they were SO MUCH LOUDER than in the states. Crazy. 

The first was very cool. We went out to visit Brother Drevs, a less active member who we were able to contact a month or so ago for the first time. He is VERY BIG into board game, He has thousands of various board games. So we went and played board games with him, and got to know him a lot better. We played Railroad tycoon. WAY FUN. It was really good, we got to know him better and now have a better understanding why he doesn't come to church, which should hopefully help us bring him back to church some time. 

After that we went to the Trautmans and had a traditional New Years dinner, Goose with Knödel, Rotkohl, and Rosinenkohl. Sister Trautmans is one who really likes cooking, and the meal took her 4 or 5 hours to make. You can only imagine how delicious it was. :-) Later we went with the Buchanans to visit the Maiers and Vanderheidens, who were both there and we had some good discussions with them there. Sadly neither one, despite both saying they would, actually came to church, but that's ok. They were good visits and very enjoyable. :-)

Thursday we had district meeting here in Ravensburg, my last one, then had an exchange. I stayed with Elder Aardema. We went by on Herr Rölle, who was actually there and let us in right on the spot. We had a really good discussion with him, but overall he has higher priorities than us. :-P He said we are welcome to come by once a month or so. We met with him once before and he showed some interest, but we talked to him a lot this time about finding out if its true, and he doesn't have much interest at the moment. Thats ok though. The exchange went well otherwise, we found some cool people and had some really great conversations. :-) 

Nothing too exciting on Friday, we exchanged back, and than did a bit of weekly planning/preparing things for the new transfer. We went contacting for about an hour, didn't get any information with anyone but had a really neat experience. We were walking along Marien Platz and started talking with a girl with REALLY red hair (dyed). She was pretty happy to talk to us, didn't have enough interest to give us her phone number, but it turns out that she was going through a really rough time right then, and she thanked us for the conversation, because she felt so much happier afterward and was happy to have spoken with us. I gave her a card with our phone number, the churches address etc. She said (and I completely believe her) that she will visit our church meeting some time when she can. That for me was almost better than getting information. She felt a lot better after talking with us she said it made her day, and that means a lot to me. I love being able to help lift others up. 

Saturday we met with Lothar, which was really cool. Best appointment that we have ever had with him. The Buchanans came and it was really neat. We got to understand him a lot better, and have established a decent foundation which we will be able to build from in the near future. :-) We also went shopping that day (being warned in advance that Monday was going to be a holiday). 

We went to Markdorf with the Buchanans to visit the Kunz family and the Micov family. Neither of them were home, so we visited with a couple from Syria, who we had met and help a few weeks earlier. The man is from Palestine, and was pharmacist. She is from Syria and used to be a professor of the Arabic language. And now they are living in a VERY small room with just enough income to buy a bit of food. That hurts me to see it. They came partly because of the conflicts going on now over there, also because Germany has much better doctors and he is a diabetic. They speak a bit of English and are learning German. We talked to them a bit about prophets, it was funny, because the best way to do it, was to use the German to Arabic translator on his phone. :-) It was neat though. We kept it brief because he wasn't feeling to good, but it was neat. 

As for how to precede with them, that will be very tricky. I don't think we will be able to keep meeting with them (it may put them or their families in danger if people  find out that they are meeting with Christians). We will need to get some information about them, how long they will stay, family etc. And then apply for permission to teach them. I don't think we will be able to, but we can still be stop by and see how they are doing every now and again. :-)

Sunday was one of neatest Fast and testimony meetings I have ever been apart of. We had record low attendance. A total of 6 members and 4 missionaries. It nearly represents the completely active part of the branch. There are two more couples who are typically active, one was visiting family, the other was sick. But other than that, there aren't really any completely active members. Anyway. We started the meeting at 11 and were done with the sacrament at around 11:10. Then was the time that was given to bear testimonies. One by one everyone got up and bore testimony. It was almost as though there was an assigned order, because there was no pause, but yet there wasn't. The meeting ended at 12:10 the full time was taken. The Spirit was so strong here. It was wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. 

That nearly sums up the highlights of the week. The Calendar says that this will be my last as a missionary. My heart doesn't believe it. Which I think is actually good. I haven't thought about going home, I haven't been sad about leaving, because I don't feel like I am. I have been working just as though I had several months left. Only a few slight moments have broken that. Saying goodbye to Natalia and Patricia for one; Patricia (just turned 9 years old) made a card "From Patricia to 'Rayn' ". I had told her what my first name was a week or so ago, but never told her how to spell it :-) That was hard, saying goodbye and that card didn't help. That was the first time I cried at the thought of going. 

Also during the closing song yesterday , I broke down as it hit me that probably is the last time I will get to sing a hymn with other people in the German Language for quite awhile. I have such a love for this language, and people. And more over for this work, which I have had the privilege of being a part of.  Its really hard in those moments where I realize that I am going. But God has truly blessed me in that these moments have been brief, they come and not long after they are gone and I go back to a normal missionary as though I wasn't going home. That has been a tremendous blessing. It has allowed me to focus and work hard. Even as I pack, I feel disconnected and it doesn't effect my ability to work. 

Well, I have no choice but trust the calendar, that this really will be the last e-mail. Many of you I will the privilege of seeing face to face on Friday or Saturday. Some I won't see until next Sunday when I speak, and others I may not see for several months, or years. Whether I see you in days, weeks months or years, I want you all to know,that I know this work is of God. 

I know first off that there is a God in Heaven who is our Father. He loves us so much. Far more than we can really comprehend. I know he hears and answers our prayers. I know he has called prophets to lead and guide us, in days of old just as well as now. I know that the this church is led by a Prophet today, Thomas S. Monson. I know that the Book of Mormon is true scripture given to us, to help us learn more about God, to be a proof that God speaks to men of old, and speaks to us again today. 

Most importantly. I want you all to know, that I know Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I know that He is our Savior, that He atoned for our sins, and took upon Himself our weaknesses. He knows exactly how we feel, and exactly what we are going through. Because of that He knows how to comfort us, how to strengthen us, how to heal us. I have seen it happen in the lives of others, and in my own life. It has been wonderful chance to come here and to help others come to know that for themselves as well. I will be eternally grateful for the opportunity I have had, to have part of this work. Participating in Gods ultimate work and glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. 

I look forward to participating as well when I get back, in callings or assignments, or whatever way I can. Because I know that its true. And I know it can bless the lives of everyone. 

I bid you all farewell, until we meet again. :-)

Numbers 6:24-26

love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: