Man, this week was absolutely insane! Crazy, hard, but we saw miracles.
Tuesday, we were going to do an exchange with Dornbirn 1, but then Elder Sumsion got a notice that he needed to go pick up his German Visa in Freiburg, and so we did a last minute switch up and exchanged with Dorbirn 2. I stayed in Ravensburg with Elder Morey, and Elder Wasden went to Dornbirn with Elder Moon. We were going to have an appointment with the Kunz Family, but that was cancelled early on, and then David (our new GML) texted us and wanted to do a GMK with us. Since we were going to be at the church anyway, we agreed and met him there. Since Kunz fell out we wanted to visit Frau Koch in the hospital. She isn't a member of our church, but when her friend visited from America she brought her to church. Here to Ravensburg, which was weird because Ulm was MUCH closer. But then as of only a few weeks ago she became VERY sick and was transported to the Hospital in Ravensburg, and because she knew Elder and Sister Buchanan/missionaries she wanted us to visit her and give her a blessing. If her friend didn't take her here, who knows what would have happened. Anyway we wanted to Visit Frau Koch, and invited David to come with us. He had to go take care of something first but said he would me us at the hospital. So we arrive there and wait for him give him a call and tell him to meet us at the main entrance, he says he is at the main entrance. We look around and talk on the phone for another 3 or so minutes before we realize that we are at two completely different hospitals. Woops... It would take him more than 30 minutes to make it to where we were. So That did work, we stopped by and said hi, but couldn't stay because we had no one with us.
We then decided to go to Friedrichshafen and go by on some people there for the remaining few hours of the day. We did, and walked around talking to people, to little avail. Now here is something cool, last year when I came to Ravensburg on exchange there was a lady in Friedrichshafen that we visited. I didn't remember her name, the street name or really anything, I just knew how to get there. But I really wanted to go visit her. Not having her in mind at the moment, I looked at the names and picked out 4 names of people who lived in an area of Friedrichshafen, it was only upon arriving that I realized that she was one of the 4 that I had chosen. She was the only one who was home and with whom we talked, but it was a great experience. It turns out that her son tragically died about 5 months ago, and she started crying as we spoke to her. When it was right, I bore testimony of eternal families, and we had a good conversation. In the process of the conversation she mentioned specific lines that come out of our church hymns, and I asked her about it, and she pulled out a couple protestant song books that had the songs in there. "I need thee every hour, How Great thou Art, and (later) God be with you till we meet again" In disbelief I sang the melody of the songs and she joined it a bit, and confirmed that they were the same. She told us that she hasn't sung at all since her son died, I offered to come back with the Buchanan some time and sing with her, and she said that she would really like that. :-) I hope to also introduce her to songs that she wouldn't have such as "Where can I turn for peace" or "I know that my Redeemer lives" I think she would appreciate them. But that was neat!
Wednesday, we needed to be at the church at 8 to let the electrician in to update the internet connection in the church. It was raining HARD outside. I grabbed my jacked and my bag, and Elder Morey and I started biking to the church. Only about 50 seconds into the bike ride, I became very well aware that the jacket that I was wearing was water RESISTANT, but not water PROOF. 7 minutes later when we finally made it to the church I looked like I had jumped in a swimming pool. Time for a new water proof jacket/ coat. ;-) we had studies at the church, and everything went alright for the most part. We were supposed to exchange back at around 3 which required taking a train at 2. But we left for the train station a bit late, and I was biking fairly quickly with Elder Morey right behind me the whole way ( I kept looking back, that is about all you can do when you are both on bikes) and I made it to the stop light to the trainstation, and eventhough I had only looked back about 20 seconds ago, Elder Morey wasn't in sight, I waited, assuming he was just a bit slow, or something, but couldn't see him, so I turned around and started biking back and saw him walk around the corner pushing the bike. The chain broke off. Luckily he wasn't hurt, but we then had to walk all the way to the apartment, drop the bikes off there, and then walk to the train station to see when the next train came. With weather delays it was going to take an hour and a half. :-P That put of the exchange a bit, and Elder Wasden and I made it back at around 5:30 went to the apartment really quick to drop off a few things and make some phonecalls and walked to the train station.We wanted to go to Oberzell to meet with a family we found going door to door on saturday. Normally it only takes 6 or so minutes to walk to the trainstation from the apartment, but even though we had 10, we still watched the train drive away while we stood stuck at a light. (Keeping in mind we don't have bikes) It was then that I had the feeling we should take the bus to go to Weststadt instead. But the interesting thing was, I also had a specific bus station come to mind that we NEEDED to catch the bus from. I found that interesting but we walked all the way to this bus stop and talked to people on the way. The last two people we talked to on the way there both had a lot of interest and we made appointments out with them BOTH. HUGE MIRACLE.
We went to Weststadt, went by on Sister Pabel who was supposed to go in for surgery the next day, then walked down to another lady in Weststadt who was a friend of a member, and made an appointment with them for Tuesday and then caught a bus back home. It was just after 8 now. We get back to Ravensburg, and I was beat. I was exhausted. I wanted to go home, prepare something to eat, and put the day BEHIND ME. Just then Elder Wasden says to me, "Elder Christensen, lets find one more person". Time for a personal inventory with myself "Do I believe that God is a God of miracles?, Yes." "Do I believe that he can make one happen right now? Yes." "Do I have any excuses then? Nope. Dang it." And away we went. We talked to people for 35 minutes. and the longer it went, the more cold and rude the people got. Until finally we decided that it was too dark to continue finding. Exhausted, worn out and a bit sad, we walk up to our apartment, and nearly put the key in the lock. We say hi to someone walking down the street. "HELLO! How are you?!" Astonished at the perkiness of the passerby, we started talking with her. And we end up talking for 20 minutes. She is a student here in Weingarten at the Berufschule, which would be comparable to a 2 year college. She gave us her number and told us that she was open to talk more about God, and than ended the night. Absolute miracle. We hope to meet with her some time this week. :-) We were actually going to meet with her the next day, but then she had to cancel because she had a friend (Freundin meaning it was a girl) who was coming but then she told us that the two of us could join then if we wanted. Yeah, we pretty much got invited on a double date, but had to turn it down. :-( Single disadvantage of being a missionary. ;-) But later on ( Thursday) we went to Markdorf and met with the Micov family ( the one that I met in the bus) and had a great time with them! That was neat.
Friday night, all plans fell through, which allowed us finally to go to Oberzell and meet with the family that we found. We didn't expect to get in, just make out an appointment for the upcoming week. The father answered ( and because we first talked to the mother, we at this point were expecting to be turned down and sent away) and to our surprise invited us right in, brought us juice, and asked us about our church. We had one of the most fantastice lessons ever. He is Catholic, but is actually seeking a personal connection with God ( Which may sound funny, but one day I talked to someone on the street and he told me "I don't believe in Christ I am a catholic!" Being catholic is kind of like belonging to a group, it means nothing really other than be able to say it) We talked about prayer, and he said that at one point in time he could really pray with a sincere heart and had experiences where he knew God heard and answered his prayers. But says that in the meantime it hasn't quite been that way. We discussed further, the Spirits presence was very strong, and it was a wonderful lesson.
I am going to skip Saturday, because I am out of time, but Sunday was an adventure... So we arrive at church at around 9:10 or so. About 5 minutes later I get asked to prepare and bless the sacrament. Sure, I love doing that. Then about 7 or so minutes later I get asked to translate the meeting ( the talks and testimonies) to English. Sure, also something that I have done a lot of and enjoy. Then about 6 minutes later, it because known that one of the speakers, who was assigned for a 20 minute talk wouldn't make it. So I get asked to take up 10+ minutes with a talk. That was at about 9:28. It has become SO much easier for me to give talks and to speak since I was on a mission, so I wasn't overly concerned, until I realized that I had no topic and no time to prepare, because I had to bless, and translate. Elder Wasden and a good friend of the 2 councelors in the bishopric who was visiting bore their testimonies, which I translated, then I walk up to the front still having no idea what I was going to say.This is where another miracle occured. The promise in Doctrine and Covenants 100:5-6 (as well as D&C 84:85, Matt 10:19-20, Luke 12:11-12) was fulfilled. I stood up front, I had the feeling to read D&C 58:3-4 aloud I did, and then I had my topic, and the words came, I was supposed to shared all the experiences of the week, how things didn't work out, at first, or so we thought because we couldn't see Gods will with our eyes, but how the blessings CAME. It was one of the most wonderful experiences I have had. I had NO IDEA at all what I would say, and in that very moment, it was given to me what I should say. I am so grateful for that. I took up 11 minutes or so, bore my testimony and that was it. That promise is really true. I know it, I experienced which has only strengthened my faith that much more. :-)
I know this church is true and that it is led by a living prophet today. I know that We cannot always see with our natural eyes Gods intended purposes for us, but if we put our trust in him, he will bless us because only after much hardship do blessings trully come. I know that is true. I know that God loves us and that everything with work together for our good, if we just TRUST HIM. I am so happy to be here and be able to continue to work more!
I am out of time now, but I wish you all a great week!
love,
Elder Ryan K. Christensen.
P.S. so later that day we went to visit Sani, and as we were leaving the building to get our bikes, the grass was really wet, and because out bikes were in somewhat of a ditch, I slipped and fell and got coated in mud. some residents there were washing out a rug, and all the water had drained into the grass. They felt so bad, and were handing be paper towels. The lady grabbed a bucked off water and wanted to douse me with it to get the mud off, her friends talked her out of it. Thank goodness. I used my hand though to was a bit of mud off then went home and changed. I have some dry cleaning to take care of now aside everything else. MISSIONS WOULDN'T BE NEARLY AS FUN WITHOUT A LITTLE BIT OF ADVENTURE ;-).
No comments:
Post a Comment