(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, December 17, 2012

16th of December...

Well Another week has yet again gone by. Strange. I guess yesterday I officially became 20. Which I pretty much forgot until President and Sister Miles called and sang happy birthday to me on their trainride back to Munich ( We had Zone Conference this past week here in Wien). And then that night Elders Stilger and Davies called and sang. :-) But other than that it was another normal day. 2 eating appointments one with a cake, Sister Fries ( who made the cake) was and probably still is totally unaware that yesterday was my birthday. :-). Ohwell. :-) But nothing really happened, and Its weird to think that I am now officially 20. Thats REALLY REALLY weird. It will take some getting used to :-).

I sang a solo yesterday in Sacrament meeting. Which is somewhat of a miracle because one, I am terrrified to get up in front of people, and 2 because I had a really bad cold, and trying to sing all the other hymns my voice was cracking REALLY bad. But when I got up and started, I wasn't shaking, and, my voice held, I sang it, kept pitch really well, and didn't crack! Thats probably the first time I have really performed in front of people like that. I don't know if I will do it back at home, because  singing for a ward of 80 or so is a lot different than 500 or so, but we will see. :-) The song was "What child is this". Elder Steed wanted me to sing it will a few other people. But still planned for me to solo the first verse and the end phrase. A lot of people like it. It was cool. Totally new experience for me though.

The main highlight out of this past week was Zone Conference. They are always incredible! Its neat to get together as missionaries with the Mission President. The spirit is always strong and uplifting. I really enjoyed it. I don't have my notes with me, so I can't really remember everything that we discussed. But it was amazing. :-)

We had the ward Christmas Party on Saturday, which was neat. It was set up with various booths that one could visit, Chesnuts; roasted potatoes (done outside the church); a "Kinderpunsch" stand ( "Punsch" (hot punch) is normally alcoholic and the versions without alcohol have the word "kinder" right before them (it means children's)); a Stand where you could decorate Christmas tree ornaments (put on by the young women (of course ;-)); A Christmas caroling stand; a Stand were you "Shoot" cans down with a ball (Put on by the young men (no surprise there either ;-)); A waffel stand; and a lot of other things.

It was a lot of fun, Martin and Marion came, and I had invited a number of less actives, some of which came! And there were a number of other people that were there who didn't belong to the church. It was neat. :-) Haha the Primary put on a skit of the sign of Christs birth in america. They also had Danny Schäffner and Sammy Jankowsky join in, which if you knew them... It was hilarious. It was a very successful evening.

Martin and Marion were busy this week so we weren't able to meet with them sepeartely. But they came to the christmas party, and Church again (they have come now 6 weeks I think!). Frau Zalka is going through a lot right now. We got another letter from her on Friday (well the GML did) which essentially as he explained it, explains her whole life experiences and then she said that she wants to be baptized on Saturday (the 15th) at 11 am. Because the Primary was practicing for the skit anyway, and she really wants to get baptized. But then he called her, she didn't answer and sent him a text saying that she still wants to get baptized, but her neighbor was going through an incredibly hard time. The son of this neighbor passed away a year ago, and only a few days ago her husband committed suicide. So she is staying with her and comforting her right now and can't come to the ward christmas party and will probably not be able to come to church.

Then Frau Zalka's son got her (Frau Zalka) sick, and so she has the flu now as well... ugh. Pray for her that she won't lose the desire to be baptized after all these trials. I don't know when she wants to be baptized now, I think she wants to do it somewhat soon. But I am not sure yet. We will try to get in contact with her this week and aim for the 30th of December.

Anyway, I need to get off now, So I will let this come to an end. Thanks for the support and prayers!
I love you all,

-Elder Ryan K. Christensen

No comments: