Josh asked Ryan for some first hand advice on what young men should be doing to best prepare for their mission. Josh's email and Elder Christensen's response are below:
Josh's Request:
Hey Ryan, sorry I havent talked to you for a while. But this week I am going to scout camp. Tuesday night I am giving a devotional on preparing for a mission. And I was wondering if you could write something to the young men of our ward on how to prepare for a mission and some things that you did to prepare. I know that you are limited on time, but if you could atleast write me something for it that would be great. Just send me a email on what you want them to know, and I will read it to them from my phone at camp. Thanks so much, and also send a copy of it to dad because he wants to use it with the teachers. Your awesome Ryan and a great example, thanks for everything. I am thinking about you and hope your having the most amazing time of your life. I promise I will write more, you're amazing.
Elder Christensen's Response:
Preparing for a mission... That's a topic I have found hard to discuss. The best things that I can really think of, are just the small and simple things. Reading and praying daily receiving that daily guidance from the spirit. I like Alma 37:41-47 it directly compares our journey through life ( or maybe journey to prepare for a mission) to Lehi and his families journey to the promise land. It talks about how When Lehi and his family stopped giving heed to the Liahona, their Journey was brought to a standstill.
In verse 44 of Alma 37 it says that it is just as easy for us to give heed to the scriptures as it was for them to give heed to the Liahona. That right there is the key. The scriptures are the compass that can guide us through our lives, but they can't help us if we don't read them! Alma 41:1 says that there are many who have "WRESTED THE SCRIPTURES and have GONE ASTRAY because of this thing". 2 Nephi 32:3 "feast upon the words of Christ, for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do". ALL THINGS; The scriptures hold the answer.
A testimony of the scriptures is the greatest thing that will help them. It has been the one thing that has really helped me Ether 12:4 talks about Hope coming from Faith which will be an Anchor unto us that will make us safe and steadfast. That is what has helped me, it has given me an anchor, something to hold on to while EVERYTHING around me has changed. I still didn't feel quite ready when I left into the MTC. Its a big change, but I had the faith that God would help me. And so He has.
With a testimony and Faith, serving a mission is very possible, not always easy, but possible. I will end with my testimony that the scriptures, specifically the book of Mormon, are true. They have blessed me in my life, with a testimony, which gives me something to hold onto in when everything else has changed. I know that as they seek to read and pray everyday their testimonies on Christ will be strengthened. And that alone with make everything else possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment