(This blog is managed by Ryan's parent's. Please leave comments and we will forward them to him.)

Monday, April 16, 2012

Wow! Another Week has already gone by, as well as a Transfer... almost

I can't believe its already been a week, although last week was INCREDIBLY LONG. Elder Stokes has been sick, so he has been resting, meanwhile I deep cleaned the entire apartment, fixed the fridge, the sink, and organized about everything I could find. As well as reading "Our Search For Happiness" in its entirety, and having some intense scripture study. Not being able to really do much missionary work was, in all honesty, a bit saddening. Don't get me wrong, the studying was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING but, I its not what I was sent here to do. All but 3 of our appointments cancelled on us this past week, we still went to all the ones that were pre-scheduled, but we didn't do much else.

As stated in the title of the e-mail, yes another transfer is coming to a close. Before I came on a mission the transfers used to alternate, a 7 week, then a 5 week, and so on. But they changed it so that they are now all 6 week transfers, but the change happened right after a 7 week, so to make up for it, this one was a 5 week transfer. Interviews with the President are tomorrow, and transfer calls are this Friday. WOW. The following Thursday I could have a new companion, area, or even Country! ( Which is HIGHLY unlikely, because my German Visa should arrive in the mail in about 4 or so weeks, so I think I will be staying in Esslingen at least one more transfer, till I have the Visa safely in hand.) But then all hats are off as to what could happened next. I have a few ideas of what could happen, but I will keep them to myself until next week ;-) Elder Kuhlo ( Zone Leader), on an exchange kept telling me that I am going to be a great leader, and hinted that I may be in for a surprise this upcoming transfer... But we will see. 

Sorry I haven't sent any pictures home just yet, I am backing them up first, just in case they get destroyed in transit. I will attach a few from the Museum, and my trip to the botanical Gardens/ Zoo. 

The first picture is of me at the gardens, we ( Elder Smith, Elder Neumeyer, Elder Heinrich, and I) were all wearing glasses, and we walked from a cold, not so humid room, to a very warm, incredibly humid room. All of our glasses fogged up, we all laughed and took pictures of each other.

The Second picture is of me and the Romanian Family: Danny, his wife Andrea, Datia ( the 4 year old) and Danny's mom). Apparently Romanians don't smile for pictures... I promise they really are very kind and happy! 




Anyway, Like I said, with Elder Stokes being sick, not much happened this week. I really like "Our Search for Happiness" the intent of writing it was to help other people outside the church understand us a bit more. In order to do this it covered essentially our entire doctrine and gave some neat explanations of things. I also read a Talk on the atonement by Cleon Skausen, if you can either find a written copy, or a mp3. They are different, but both incredibly amazing! It completely changed my view on everything, especially Chemistry! I will try to send you a copy, but so far I haven't been able to do so. It's a beautiful talk about the Saviors Atonement. I may sound weird that I just linked Chemistry and the Atonement, but Chemistry is a HUGE part of the Atonement. I am assuming you are all now very curious, you need to read it! I will send a written copies of it when I can make a copy of it. 

I am so grateful for the Saviors Atonement for me, and what it has done for me in my life. I am grateful that Jesus Christ did do it for me. To give me a chance to repent and to become clean again, to gain strength and help from Him who is all knowing, knowing from experience. I am grateful for my opportunity to share that with others, there are those out there who don't know about it,  who don't know that because of the Atonement, we can have a hope of something better. That this life is just a small moment, that there is something far greater than anything that we can imagine. John 17:3 says something to the effect that "this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the true and living God" with a little cross referencing, and some linguistic work, you can change that scripture to this " this is life eternal, that they may have a relationship of greater love and closeness than words can describe, with thee the only true and living God". Thats a pretty powerful statement, that the end goal is to get to know God and have a friendship with God that is of far greater love and closeness than we can really imagine. To live again in his presence with all of our friends and loved ones. That is only possible through the Atonement of Christ. Without it, we would have to be cast out of Gods presence being subject to the devil and his angels forever. What an amazing gift the Atonement is which delivers us from the devil and returns us to the presence of God. And as Moroni says in Moroni 7:2 , what a gift to let others know about it. 

Anyway thats all for now, I hope all is well at home. Good luck to Josh, Beth, and anyone the Pleasant Grove Choirs who will be going on Choir tour this week! Travel safely! 

Love, 
Elder Ryan K. Christensen



1 comment:

laurel said...

So glad he is doing well. Sad that he didn't have the best week. Hopefully it will pick back up. Love the pictures! He sure has a great testimony.

We haven't got a letter yet. I am a bit bothered. So glad Ryan's came so I had something! Austin's letters have never been this late.
Ugh. I guess I will just reread Ryans.